Eddie Bauer Superior Down Parka

Price Current Retail: $164.00-$174.50
Historic Range: $164.00-$329.00
Boys'
Price Historic Range: $99.99

Extremely warm, high quality, luxurious parka, at an amazing price.

Pros

• Extremely warm, windproof, waterproof, reasonably priced
  • Comfortable, reasonably lightweight without looking like the Michelin Man
  • Stylish, different, luxurious

Cons

• Pocket design, Velcro placement
  • Fake fur (though it feels nice, and is not itchy)
  • May need an instruction manual to find all the features.

This is the best parka I have ever owned. I was looking for an Air Force Parka, and it was hard to find an actual jacket rather than a copy. So I started looking for alternatives, as I did not wish to spend $1000 for a Canada Goose parka.

I have had it for a few weeks, and it is windproof, water beads on the surface like a freshly waxed car, and it is comfortable in below zero windchills. I'm still discovering many of the features. People have complained it has no interior pockets, and I found a hidden large interior pocket. All of the pockets are large, and the lower ones will hold thick insulated gloves with no problems.

I have some quibbles with the Velcro on the lower pockets which can abrade cold hands, easily. The rough part of the Velcro should be on the top layer, not at the base. Also, the fur is fake, but making a liner from real fur is not expensive.

Range of motion is excellent. For the amount of insulation the coat has, it is not bulky, and I have gotten compliments on the coat, with some of my students trying it on before buying one, as they are on sale, now. The interior is comfortable, as are the cuffs, so you can wear a t-shirt underneath, and the texture feels good on the skin.

I bought the olive-brown color, which many people have complimented me on, as well. It's a lovely coat, and I highly recommend it.

Old Guide

That's quite the parka for that price. Congrats.

Thanks for the review, Thurman. I hope you'll let us know how the parka continues to work out for you.

Gear Libraries Increase Outdoor Access, Equity, and Adventure