EMS Arete GTX—Made by Zamberlan for EMS in 2004…

Source: bought it used

Summary

EMS Arete GTX—Made by Zamberlan for EMS in 2004 and 2005.

Pros

• Perwanger one-piece main construction
  • Incredible build quality
  • Superior ankle protection
  • The Best Vibram soles ever produced—Vibram Vertige

Cons

• Heavy—6 lbs for the pair, but worth their weight

EMS_Boots.jpg

A rare and awesome hardcore hiking and mountaineering boot. Gore-tex lined.

The fit is perfect for my size 11 (45) normal width feet. I have purchased two pairs on Ebay through the years and they are often mis-advertised and usually quite reasonable. These were about $250 when new 15 years ago.

I have owned many similar boots in the past, La Sportiva Glaciers, Asolo, Vasque, Lowa, etc.

The EMS Arete GTX is without question the best boot of this type I have ever purchased for any price.

Experience

Cold, hot, wet, dry, rocks, swamp, etc. These boots perform and spray off to look like new.

Welcome to Trailspace, Max! It sounds like your Aretes have served you well. Thanks for sharing a review!

I wanted a heartier boot than my last pair (Asolos…

Materials: Stiff Italian Leather/Gore-Tex Lined- Heavy Vibram Tread
Use: All hiking, My boot is my boot.
Break-in Period: Wore Everyday. As slippers, work shoes, Hospital Clogs, and day hikers for three weeks in preparation for Three Days in Presidentials
Weight: Boulder Like, maybe 8 lbs.

I wanted a heartier boot than my last pair (Asolos from 1998-2006). I also wanted the ability to step into crampons for winter trips. Boy did I get it.

I almost baulked at the purchase and went with a "softer" boot for comfort. Don't be scared at the out of box "ski boot" feel. Given the love and attention of a good couple good Snow Seal Massages, continual wear, and stretching, these boots began to loosen after a week.

Three weeks in and I'm confident to ascend. I'll retract as necessary if further tests prove contrary.