Let me start out by saying that my philosophy to gear…

Fabric: Pertex 20 denier (50% recyled)
Fill: Primaloft one

Let me start out by saying that my philosophy to gear buying is that good gear is expensive, but spending the extra amount up front saves money in the long run by not having to replace an item as often, and is therefore also more environmentally friendly.

With that said, my choice for a synthetic insulating jacket really came down to fit, function and quality, not price. I was torn between the Mountain Hardwear Compressor and the Patagonia Micro Puff. Both very nice pieces! The MH was light and compressible but too short in the hem and sleeves, and I really can't stand the shiny fabric and gratuitous logo branding that MH puts on all of their products. I really liked the Patagonia but the fit was just too boxy.

Then I found the Heater by EMS. The fit was spot on (though one size smaller)! and the quality of materials and finish rivaled the Patagonia. The 20 denier pertex fabric is nearly identical to the Patagonia and is light without being really shinny like the MH (and according to EMS is %50 recycled).

Without considering price, I sincerely felt this was a better jacket than the Patagonia. The fact that it is also significantly cheaper was an added bonus.

Oh, and did I mention it's REALLY warm!

...remember, buy one size smaller!!!

A great insulating piece. The Prima-loft one is ideal.

A great insulating piece. The Prima-loft one is ideal. It's just like down but without the faults. This one you can get wet and be kept warm, and just toss it in the washer and dryer... try that with down. I'm not sold on the SYNCH, but it's easy to cut out.

The Men's Heater SYNC Jacket has been discontinued.

The EMS Men's Heater SYNC Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 11, 2012 at EMS.

Six Moon Designs Minimalist Review