Q&A

Have a question about insulated? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

The Eastern Mountain Sports Summit Gloves are warm,…

Price Paid: $50-$70

Summary

The Eastern Mountain Sports Summit Gloves are warm, waterproof gloves suitable for all outdoor winter activities. Primaloft Silver insulation keeps your hands warm, and leather palms with synthetic suede reinforcements give durability.

Pros

• Warmth
  • Waterproof
  • Comfort
  • Dexterity
  • Cost

Cons

• Cold leaks at wrist gathering
  • Goggle wipe nap is pretty short

Note: The Summit Glove has been renamed Ascent Summit

I’ve always found EMS gear to be very serviceable and very reasonably priced, so when I needed a new pair of winter gloves the local store was my first stop. The Summit is EMS’s warmest glove, and since there was a sale I picked up two pairs of other gloves as well.

The Summit Glove is constructed of what appears to be softshell material, but 15 minutes in my sink left my hands completely dry.

1B6FEA36-9100-4047-AA02-8A01C513FFCE.jpg
I could feel the cold through the elastic gathering at the wrist, though.

70B24250-06F8-4EEF-8A96-9F6E3BA40F70.jpg

The palm and fingers are leather, as is the back of the hand over the knuckles. The palms also have a synthetic suede reinforcement that extends onto the thumb and forefinger. There’s a fleece goggle/nose wipe on the back of each thumb.

44953F54-973C-466F-933F-8B268BE4F578.jpg
The gauntlet cuff comes about halfway up the forearm, with a bungee and cord lock closure, and is large enough to fit over a fairly large sleeve.

D64080BA-1FDC-42FD-BC51-341BBDA0063F.jpg
A detachable leash attaches to a loop inside the cuff.

A060A081-B957-4121-9724-6559A2F0AB5D.jpg
A hanging loop is sewn onto the middle finger, and the back of the hand has reflective accents.

Warmth is obviously subjective, but when snowshoeing my hands are warm down to around -5°F, the coldest temperature in which I’ve used them so far. They haven’t been used with liner gloves. I hope to be able to test them at a lower temperature soon. They’re also not overly warm and sweaty when the mercury reaches 30°F, thanks to their breathability.

Sizing runs a little large, medium fits me well with about 1/2" of space in the ring and pinky fingers. There’s room for a pair of thin Mylar liner gloves that I have without being too snug. I often stick lip balm in a glove to keep it warm so it goes on easy, and there’s room in both the palm and back of the hand for it. The fit is close and the fingers aren’t excessively bulky, and make it easy to work medium-sized buckles. I find small buckles like those on sternum straps too small to effectively release and just remove my gloves to undo these.

All in all, I really like the Summit Gloves and recommend them to anyone who needs warmth with good dexterity.

Experience

Two winters of use in outdoor activities and work.

Thanks for the review, Phil! Glad you're keeping your hands warm in these cold temps.

1 month ago
300winmag

Thanks for the update. EMS gear/clothing is usually expertly designed of high quality materials and construction. I wish these very nice gloves had removable liners. I have spare liners for my GTX gloves to change out when the 1st pair get damp from sweat. Plus you can use thinner liners for warmer weather.

Phil Smith

I like a lot of it, I haven’t used any of their jackets besides rain jackets but I have a pair of insulated snow pants that are really nice. What I’ve noticed is that a lot of their stuff is more basic and doesn’t have as many of the little features you typically find in bigger name brands. Same goes for color choices in a lot of clothing. It still does the job, though. As far as the gloves, removable liners would be nice but they do have a pair that comes with liners. I don’t think they’re quite as warm, though.