Estwing Leather Sportsman's Axe

photo: Estwing Leather Sportsman's Axe axe/hatchet

Price Current Retail: $55.95
Historic Range: $44.99-$55.95
Reviewers Paid: $28.00

I used to only take a saw along on my outdoor adventures, but recently I've added a small hatchet to my backcountry tool kit. I was gifted with the Estwing Sportsman's Axe, a medium-sized hatchet constructed from a single piece of forged steel. This axe has a nice balance and weight to it, although it would be easier to trek around if it weighed a few ounces less, but it seems to get the job done.

I've put together a short video review of this handy little axe. Please check it out.

Pros

• One-piece forged steel construction
  • Comfortable leather grip handle
  • Nice balance

Cons

• A tad heavy
  • A bit pricey

Here is my video review of the Estwing Sportsman's Axe:

If the video will not play, please check out the YouTube link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkcLteHFE2o

Source: received it as a personal gift

Nice looking axe. From whom did you get it as a gift?

theonecanoe MEDIA INCENTIVIZED REVIEWER

Hi Alicia, Yes, I have to agree, it is a very nice looking axe. My wife bought it for me as a birthday gift. She purchased it from a Lee Valley Tools store in Canada.

Nice! I hope you continue to enjoy it.

300winmag

I have the "cruiser axe" version of this W/longer synthetic handle. Decent quality but the blade is too THIN for true axe work, just like this one. Also the cool leather stack handle will, if it gets soaked, swell and look like crap plus being bumpy and rough. (Don't ask...) So my idea of a canoeing axe is a 3/4 length handle with a good Swedish head. Yeah, maybe $150. but worth if you use it frequently.

Great tool for processing logs at camp. Sharp, well made in the USA, takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Can tackle much larger jobs that other small backpacking hatchets would not be able to.

Pros

• Splits logs very well
  • Easy to sharpen
  • Comfortable handle
  • Made by hand in USA

Cons

• A little too heavy for ultralight/solo backpacking

This is a very solid hatchet for splitting wood at camp. I've used this hatchet on over 20 nights of backpacking or canoeing. The hatchet has mainly been used to quarter/half logs that are 4-12 inches in diameter and 1-2 feet in length.

The weight/design of the hatchet allows you to easily split 4 inch logs with a single stroke, and it can split much larger logs with a little more effort. It works much more efficiently than any other hatchet I've used on trips (small Gerber/Fiskars).

The hatchet is all metal with a coated leather handle. The hatchet also comes with a sheath (made in Taiwan) that does its job and has never come undone by accident. It is very well made and should last a LONG time. The steel will lose the edge after a couple days at camp, but it is easy to sharpen and will take a nice sharp edge.

It's probably too heavy for ultralighters or solo campers, but for canoe camping or larger groups it is worth its weight in gold, or wood rather :) Pair it with a folding saw and if you're able to find a large down tree you will have wood all trip long.

Not to mention it's made in the USA and was on an episode of How It's Made. You know if it's on that show it has to be good.

You can find it for under $30 dollars if you shop around.

g00se

Welcome to Trailspace, Jeff. Thanks for the review!

JeffRow

Thanks G00SE. I've read many reviews on here and finally got my act together. It's kind of addictive already, I want to review EVERYTHING! :)

g00se