Eureka! Caddis

rated 4.0 of 5 stars

The Caddis has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best four-season tents for 2020.

photo: Eureka! Caddis four-season tent

I've had mine since 1977. Very strong, but much heavier than today's lightweights. After nearly 40 years I intend to reseal the floor and seams and continue using it. It truly is a classic

Pros

• Very durable and holds body heat in inclement weather. Lots of space for two. I've had three in it and it's a bit tight.

Cons

• Heavier than most.
  • A little busy to set up.
  • Not a free standing tent.

I've used this in Montana and Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania. I've used it with the kids, with the wife, and with some smelly guys. It's very durable. The tube construction makes for excellent ventilation. Even in the cold it is very comfortable and spacious for two.

A bit heavy to carry. One of my poles got a tear in it 30 years ago. Fixed it with a hose clamp that's still on it. The floor is losing its waterproofing, but I'm gonna try to revive it.

I probably should buy something new, but what the heck, it's paid for.

Price Paid: Don't remember. Maybe $160

Welcome to Trailspace, Grizzly Strizzly. I love to hear about gear like yours that has held up for decades! Do you have any pictures of your Caddis you'd be willing to share in your review?

Grizzly Strizzly

I'll see if I can find any action photos. Ironically, I washed the tent today following the recommendations of some online guy. The tent is ruined. All the waterproofing is peeling from everywhere, the floor, the fly, the sides. Yuck. I guess it's time to buy a new one.

Grizzly Strizzly

At least it doesn't smell like puke anymore.

Bummer. Good luck finding a new one you like.

Simple but strong tunnel with enlarged head and shoulder room due to extra long middle hoop.

Pros

• Simple but rugged design, one of the classics
  • Quick and easy to erect using the pin and ring system

Cons

• Insufficient guy points, velcro tabs, and tieouts

Love the tent, always have.

This review is based on an old tent gifted to me last month, designed by Eureka and made in China sometime in the 1990s I'm guessing. The original 3-hoop tunnel with the wide and tall middle, and I find it hard to believe two things:

I'm the first to review it it seems, and Eureka has stopped making it.

Very easy to put up, even having never put one up before. Just peg the front out and add the assembled hoops which are shock-corded Easton alloy, throw the flysheet over, do up some velcro tabs and use the attached shockcord loops to fix the fly to the rings. It only took 3 or 4 minutes to do.

Even being old the tent still pitched taut and when the guys were added nice and tight and reasonably wind resistant. After 25 to 30 years of what looks like hard use the fly has lost almost all the PU proofing, but the inner is in very good condition and the heavy duty floor is still water resistant, even if all the seam sealing has started to lift off.

I love the subdued Sage Green colour of the fly that blends into the background.

The guy rings fitted are meant to be pulled out to the sides and tunnels need to also be guyed along the axis and there are not enough Velcro tabs on the front arch to do this effectively. If Eureka did decide to bring this tent back there are some updates they should look at.

As made there are no internal storage pockets.

Also, no internal rings on the centre hoop for adding cyclone straps internally in case of a big blow, an easy fix either DIY or at the factory.

Only had it a month and erected in the yard to play with, but it has possibilities as a subject for what is known in the car repair business as a 'Cut and Shut." I'd like to see this with an extra centre wand and 600mm inserted in the middle to make it a true 3+ person tent.

Source: received it as a personal gift ( mate from Bushwalk.com called Drew)