Reviews

I've been pleasantly suprised with the performance…

Rating: rated 4 of 5 stars
Design: Three-Season Free Standing Dome Tent
Sleeps: 2
Ease of Setup: Easy
Weight: 6lbs 3oz w/o Stakes
Price Paid: $79

I've been pleasantly suprised with the performance of my Eureka Dome 2XT. To my knowledge this model can only be purchased from Campmor, at least it's the only place I have ever seen it. The Dome 2XT is a simple 2 pole dome, with a 3rd pole used to add support to the rain fly. The rain fly covers 3/4 of the tent to within an inch or two from the ground, while the 4th rear side is uncovered protected by the eve/overhang created by the 3rd pole. There are interior pockets at both the head and foot of the tent with a single door. The floor is a tub design and 75% of the tent body is made from a permeable uncoated nylon, with the remaining 25% a mosquito mesh net.

I've used the tent several times in hard rains and steady all night showers and have never once sprung a leak (I've never seam sealed any seam of the tent either). The fly does a great job of shedding the water, while the eve is just large enough to block water from hitting and vulnerable parts of the tent (though water does hit the waterproof tub bottom on the rear side, it has yet to seep through or leak). The vestibule area is large enough for your pack and shoes, or to cook in. Since I solo I normally keep my pack in the tent and shoes in the vestibule.

A tent super easy to set up, seems to be highly waterproof through some horrible downpours, not THAT heavy at 6lbs 3oz (without the stakes, I throw the heavy steel stakes away and replaced them with nice hex-aluminum stakes at .5oz each. The tent uses 8 for 6lbs 7oz), and all this for less then $80? Well, it's a great tent for the price but it is not without shortcomings.

First of all the storage bags are VERY lightweight and fragile. Other then that the only other main complaint is the lack of ventilation. If you look at the pictures you will see that all the mesh is about 3 feet off the ground, so on hot muggy nights you will not get any breeze unless you leave the door open. I still worry about the 4th side not fully covered with a rain fly but with the exceptional wet weather perfomance it has had so far it seems to be a non issue. It's an excellent value at only $79.

Where to Buy

Help support this site by making your next gear purchase through one of the links above. Click a link, buy what you need, and the seller will contribute a portion of the purchase price to support Trailspace's independent gear reviews.