Q&A

Have a question about skis? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

If you're looking for an excellent set of XC skis,…

Price Paid: $497 for ski package

Summary

If you're looking for an excellent set of XC skis, I recommend the Fischer Spider 62's. These skis can be used on groomed XC trails and especially off-trails. The full metal edge will give you the grip you need while in the backcountry trails, indeed.

Pros

• Great glide
  • Full metal edge
  • Waxless

Cons

• None

Well, here goes, my review of my Fischer Spiders XC skis. I recently picked them up at REI Outfitters in Troy, Michigan. As a matter of fact, I picked them up the day after Michigan was dumped on by the first major snowfall in 2017!

When I walked into REI I went right for the skis. I didn't know the difference between any of the brand named skis that REI sold, but for some reason I was attracted to the Fisher Spider 62's. I told the salesman that I wanted a packaged ski deal and he went right to work educating me on the various ski items I would need. He was very knowledgable and within a half hour I was out the door with my skis, poles, boots, and even a pair of Velcro straps for securing both skis together in order to carry them.

I didn't think those Velcro straps were a big deal, but my salesman at REI said they are great for keeping my skis together. He was correct, the two Velcro straps are a must have! They are a HUGE convenience when it comes to keeping my Spiders locked securely together while transporting them in my car and when I carry them to the spot where I begin my skiing adventures. All you have to do is pull the Velcro strap and it releases your skis from one another. Maybe one day I will purchase an actual ski carrier strap to carry my skis, but for now, my Velcro straps work fine for me.

Mind you, the last time I XC skied was 35 years ago, but I wanted a set of skis so I can get in some decent cardio for my heart health. I usually run throughout the year, but I wanted to mix up my winter sporting activities and I'm so grateful that I bought my Spiders!

I bought the 189 cm size Spiders because I weigh in the 180's and stand around 6 feet tall. I also carry a backpack when XC skiing, so the longer size ski handles the additional weight. They are a perfect fit and they glide with the greatest of ease over ungroomed trails! As a matter of fact, that is the best feature I love about my Spiders. They float over the snow when I leave the groomed XC ski trails at the local Metro Park I ski at.

The full Metal Edge is a plus when skiing in the backcountry trails. They help dig into the ungroomed trails, which helps you from slipping all over the place. The metal edge is a welcome addition when I have to herringbone up a very steep hill, too!

The Fischer Spiders are constructed well. I have been skiing on ungroomed backcountry trails for weeks and they still look good as new!

Well, I hope I didn't bore you with my review and if you're looking for a great set of skis, than the Fischer Spiders are an excellent, all around, fun set of skis! I also recommend the awesome sales staff at REI Outfitters in Troy, Michigan. They are friendly, knowledgable, and fun to work with when deciding on outdoor gear!

20171214_171207.jpg

Nice review, Frado! It's great when you can get such helpful guidance from a retailer to find the right product. Enjoy the skis!

300winmag

Your Fischer Spider skis seem very similar in design and construction to my Asnes Combi Combat Norwegian Army skis. (Sold in the US only at Neptune Mountaineering,Boulder,CO.) I use Voile' release binding plates and Voile' 3 pin heavy duty bindings with Voile' cable bindings. My boots are plastic Scarpa T3. Great control, warm liners and lots of adjustment to the closures.

Excellent skis for track or light back-country. I've…

Price Paid: $250 with bindings

Summary

Excellent skis for track or light back-country.

Pros

• Full metal edges
  • No wax
  • Easy to use

Cons

• None

I've been xc skiing since I was a kid growing up in Michigan—50 years!

I love these skis. With full metal edges, they are perfect for skiing on snowmobile tracks or in light powder. They have a nice side cut for easy turning, and are slender enough to use in classic tracks on the golf course as well. I can even skate with them!

I let a friend who is fairly new to xc skiing use them once, and she immediately bought a pair. Same thing for my sister. I gave my boyfriend a complete outfit—skis, boots, bindings—for Christmas last year and he'll probably never use his Rossi BC90's ever again.

Just a great all-around recreational ski.

Thanks for the review, Chery! Sounds like you have a great XC ski setup, and a lucky boyfriend.

G00SE

I've only tried XC one time. I enjoyed it, but we don't get enough snow in my part of the country. Thanks for the review, Chery.

Frado Lopiccolo

I have a set of Spiders and they are AWESOME!

Frado, we'd love to see a review of your Spiders too!

Hi Alicia,

Frado Lopiccolo

Alicia, I will definitely post a review of my Fischer Spiders.

Frado Lopiccolo

Well, here goes my review of Fischer Spiders XC skis. I recently picked them up at REI Outfitters in Troy, Michigan. As a matter of fact, I picked them up the day after Michigan was dumped on by the first major snowfall in 2017.

Thanks, Frado.