Fjallraven Barents Pro Trousers

Q&A

Have a question about hiking? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

The Barents Pro Trousers are tough and well-made.

Price Paid: €104

Summary

The Barents Pro Trousers are tough and well-made. Unfortunately, I found them too close-fitting to be comfortable.

Pros

• Tough
  • Multiple pockets in a very practical layout
  • Map-sized cargo pocket on the left leg

Cons

• Material is warm
  • No stretch
  • Too tight-fitting

Fjallraven’s Barents Pro Trousers come in an asymmetric design with three cargo pockets—one on the right leg and two on the left. They also have two deep hand pockets on the hips, a mobile phone pocket inside the right cargo pocket, and an axe pocket on the left leg.

DSC01834_1024.jpgMobile phone pocket inside the right cargo pocket

The arrangement of the cargo pockets is excellent. If you’re on a hiking expedition in unfamiliar territory, and you’re navigating with a map and a guidebook, you can keep your map in the top left pocket and your guidebook in the right. This way both documents are readily available but you don’t need to carry them in your hands all the time. This is what attracted me to these trousers.

DSC01963_1024.jpgLeft leg with upper and lower cargo pockets

The trousers are also tough. They are made of Fjallraven’s G-1000 material, a heavy-duty polyester-cotton canvas, and they have a reinforced seat and knees. The knees have openings for knee pads.

However, the material is warm. These trousers are not for hot weather.

These trousers come in European sizes, but Fjallraven provides a conversion chart. Size 50 is given as equivalent to my normal waist size of 34, and it turned out to be spot on.

According to Fjallraven the Barents Pro Trousers have a regular waist and regular fit. But this is not how I would describe them. They are low-waisted and slim-fitting. I am not used to wearing slim fit trousers and I found these too tight about the hips and crotch.

They are so tight that whenever I put my hands in the hip pockets and took them out, I drew out the pocket lining. I tried walking in these trousers to see if I could get used to them, but I was always conscious of their tightness and I could not imagine sleeping in them on a camping trip.

The trouser legs too are on the narrow side compared to my other hiking trousers, but they have articulated knees so they are not unduly restrictive. They come in raw length so you have to get them hemmed to suit you.

DSC01964_1024.jpgRight trouser leg with cargo pocket and articulated knee panel

I really wanted to like these trousers but I had to conclude that they were not right for me because of the tight fit. Luckily Fjallraven also makes the Barents Trousers, a variant of the Barents Pros with a more relaxed fit. When I got the opportunity to try the Barents on in a shop I found them to be much more comfortable, so I got a pair as a replacement for the Barents Pros.

The Barents Pros might be for you if you are used to wearing slim fit trousers. But I would still advise that you try them on before buying, or else be prepared to send them back. If you don't like the idea of hiking in slim fit trousers you may be better off opting for the Barents like I eventually did.

For those who want more information, I have uploaded a review of the Barents trousers which makes a detailed comparison between this model and the Barents Pro.

Thanks again for helpfully comparing these two similar pairs of hiking pants, Charles.