Flowfold RFID Blocking Minimalist - Card Holder Wallet

Capacity 6-8 credit cards and few folded bills
Card Slots 1
Dimensions 4.2 x 2.75 x 0.06 in
Weight 0.4 oz / 12g
RFID Blocking Ultra thin, high density layer of pure copper.
Fabrics X-Pac Fabric or Lite Skin Composite Fabric
Origin Made in Maine, USA

A sleek and sturdy little wallet that easily carries 6-8 cards and a few folded bills. Makes for a great wallet on backcountry trips where weight is a concern, and with RFID-blocking technology, it’s a great wallet for everyday use too.

Pros

• Small and sleek
  • RFID-blocking
  • Modest price
  • Made in Maine, USA

Cons

• If I’m being really nit-picky, I’d prefer the logo on the back instead of the front.

Conditions:
I’ve used the Flowfold RFID Blocking Minimalist wallet for 7 months now as my everyday wallet. I’ve carried some form of a slim wallet for about 10 years and this is without hesitation the best one I’ve found.

fullsizeoutput_49d.jpg

• Weight: 0.4 oz / 12g

fullsizeoutput_49f.jpg

fullsizeoutput_49e.jpg

Construction and Durability:
The manufacturer uses something called X-Pac Fabric or Lite Skin Composite Fabric, and features an ultra-thin, high-density layer of pure copper for RFID blocking (meaning someone can’t skim your RFID chip-enabled credit card). In layperson terms, the fabric is pliable, not too thick, but plenty tough, and secure for your cards.

After seven months of use, I see absolutely no signs of wear and tear. It looks exactly the same today as it does the day I bought it new. It routinely slides in and out of my pants pocket, travel bags, jacket pocket, etc. and still looks good as new.

Usage:
Call me a skeptic, but when the manufacturer claimed this little wallet holds 6-8 cards plus a few folded bills, I expected it to be more like 4-5 cards and only 1 or 2 bills. I’ve just seen how many companies market their products with unrealistic expectations. However, this is not the case with Flowfold. This wallet ACTUALLY does carry what they claim, 6-8 cards plus a few folded bills.

In fact, their claim may even be a little understated, because as my everyday wallet, I have at all times 9 cards in the wallet with anywhere from 1-5 bills folded inside too. It can get a little tight, especially when trying to find a card in the middle or rear of the stack, but I simply just pull them all out halfway, thumb through them until I find the one I'm looking for, pull just that one out, and slide the rest back in. Best of all, I've never had cards slide out unintentionally, which hasn't always been the case with other slim wallets I've owned.

Recommendation:
I'd highly recommend the Flowfold RFID Blocking Minimalist - Card Holder Wallet for those who use a slim wallet on an everyday basis, or for those who like their bigger wallets, but are looking for a slimmer option when heading in to the backcountry and only want to take the essentials (you probably don't need that Taco Bell gift card in the backcountry, do you?).

For $20 USD, it's a very affordable option, and if you don't want the RFID-Blocking material, then you can buy the regular version of the Minimalist wallet for only $15 USD.

Experience

Originally introduced to slim wallets for travel purposes, I’ve now carried a slim wallet for about 10 years. In that time I’ve owned a variety of them, made from an array of materials, including leather, faux-leather, canvas, and rubber (yep, an old bike tire can be repurposed to make a pretty serviceable wallet).

Price Paid: $20 USD

About the Author

Tyler (KiwiKlimber) is a hiker, hunter, and mountain biker who roams the ridges and valleys of Central Pennsylvania (USA). Occasionally, he helps facilitate team-building initiatives and high ropes challenge courses. His hiking and hunting friends know him as the guy who always packs extra food, no matter what.

Nice review, Kiwi! I use a Granite Gear Hiker Wallet on occasion: https://www.granitegear.com/outdoor/accessories/backpack-accessories/hiker-wallet.html

1 month ago
KiwiKlimber

Thanks, Alicia. That one looks nice, but a perhaps a little unpractical as an everyday carry option with its loops and zip top. A good one for travel and trail though. I prefer the dual-use ones myself.

1 month ago

Yes, I wouldn't want to use the GG one as my everyday option.

Waste of time. Just cut out from a tin of Sardines credit card sized pieces and insert in normal wallet of any type. Placed next to bank of credit card provides complete protection! Highly recommended.

Pros

• No cost

Cons

• None

Just cut sardine or other thin aluminium into credit card sized pieces.

Source: Reuse sardine tin!

Hi Rodney. Have you used the Flowfold wallet being reviewed here? Thanks!

Rodney Shepherd

No don't live in USA.

How to Get Outside and Recreate Responsibly this Winter

Hoka TenNine Hike GTX Review

Jetboil MiniMo Cooking System Review

ZJ Sport Epic Medium Wing Paddle Review

Does anyone have plans to build something like this