Frogg Toggs Waterproof Breathable Boonie Hat

photo: Frogg Toggs Waterproof Breathable Boonie Hat headwear product

Price Reviewers Paid: $10.00
Breathable and 100% waterproof
Made from frogg toggs Classic fabric

Frogg Toggs Boonie Hat is one of those deals that makes one ask why the big name brands charge so much for their products. This hat has kept me dry in heavy downpours and thunderstorms. The 3-inch brim is plenty wide to keep the rain and sun off my face and the back of my neck. The hat crushes down to a flat tortilla in the pack and comes right back into shape (with a few new wrinkles). It's more breathable than any other rain hat I've owned. It only weighs 2.5 ounces. And if I ruin it or lose it, I'm not going to be stressing over the $10 replacement cost.

Pros

• WATERPROOF
  • Crushable—fits anywhere in your pack
  • 2.5 oz
  • Fairly breathable
  • Cheap

Cons

• Ugly
  • Durable???
  • A bit snug

God and I have an understanding. He sees me grab my backpack, and He sends rain. If you ever have a drought in your area, just hire me to come hike there.

I hate the suffocating feeling of being in a hooded jacket, and a hood doesn't really protect your face in a hard rain. Plus I needed a new boonie hat to replace the nice one my no-good, rotten daughter lost at Disney World.

Enter Frogg Toggs.

20200327_185957.jpg4 hours of continuous thunderstorms in Mark Twain National Forest.

I've looked at Frogg Togg's UL Poncho a couple of times. I just can't get past the paper-y feel of the material. The hat is the exact same material. The actual product is 90 percent polyproplyene and 10 percent polyester. And while I still wonder about the longevity of this hat; it has taken a beating in the few months I've owned it.

20200328_123304.jpg
20200328_123327.jpg
I've shoved it in and out of my pack. I've stuck it in my back pocket and sat on it. I've accidentally compressed it in a stuff sack.
20200328_123433.jpg

It comes back into shape every time. Although it looks a little off if you don't reshape it well.

20200419_073832.jpgMorning downpour in Shawnee National Forest. It rained from the time I got up until the moment I got back to the car 3 hours later. Then the sun came out.

Water Resistance: In continual downpours lasting up to 4 hours this hat never wet through. I have heard of hikers using the hat as a camp bucket. The 3-inch wide brim keeps the rain off the back of my neck just as well as a hooded jacket and off my face better than a hood.

20200328_123356.jpg

Breathability: I always feel like Waterproof-Breathable is a oxymoron. You can't truly have both. This hat definitely delivers on the waterproof and does better-than-most on the breathability.

Fit & Comfort: It is a bit snug for my size L head. After a few wears, it stretched out for me a bit. For those with smaller brains, the hat comes with an elastic cinch cord to tighten it up in the back.

20200328_123249.jpg
And I like using the standard chin strap to draw the hat up on the sides when it's neither rainy nor sunny.

20200328_123414.jpg
Weight: At 2.5 ounce it adds minimal weight to the pack and serves as both a rain and sun hat (Note the pasty white skin, freckles, and red beard inherited from my Scott-Irish ancestors).

Conclusion: Look, this thing costs $10. That's $50 cheaper than similar products with TNF logo on it. So just buy it, and then write your own review telling me how wrong I am. In the meantime, I'm thinking about trying that UL poncho after all.

Experience

Multiple rainy spring days on the trail.

Nice review, g00se! I'll be curious to hear how well it holds up.

KiwiKlimber

Nice review. Unfortunately, I can't get past the papery feeling of Frogg Toggs gear. Any idea what your head size is and whether or not this comes in multiple size options?

g00se

I should have included that it's 1 size fits most. I wear a size large hat, and it felt a bit snug. I've read comments that folks wearing size XL found it too small.

KiwiKlimber

I have a pretty big head...probably a no go for me. That's why I've found Outdoor Research hats (like the Sombriolet and Seattle Sombrero) to be great for my big head, since they are generally larger than most. Not to mention they are rock solid constructed. They are a bit pricey though.

Mike Mineart

I'm a big fan of Frogg Togg gear and use their basic jacket as my summer rain gear because its very light and performs just as well as my 10X more expensive rain jackets. They only last a season or so, but they are some of the best value gear out there. I'll have to give one of their hats a try as it looks like it does the job well based on your review.