Garmin inReach Mini

Historic Range: $349.95-$350.00
Dimensions 2.04 x 3.90 x 1.03 in / 5.17 x 9.90 x 2.61 cm
Display 0.9 x 0.9 in / 23 x 23 mm
Resolution 128 x 128 pixels
Display Type sunlight-readable, monochrome, transflective memory-in-pixel (MIP)
Weight 3.5 oz / 100.0 g
Water Rating IPX7
Waypoints/Favorites/Locations 500
Tracks Single dynamic track
Track Log Single auto overwrite track log
Routes 20, 500 points per route

I'd recommend this device for anyone going on an extended wilderness trip where they likely won't have cell service. I used it for a week in the Sierra Nevada mountains and it was very helpful as it allowed my group to stay in contact with our families on the outside to notify them of changes in our itinerary. Definitely a must-have from a safety perspective.

Pros

• Long battery life
  • Reliable
  • Easy to use

Cons

• Slow to send/receive messages
  • Somewhat expensive

Ease of use: I found the device easy to use. There are just enough features to be useful, but not too many to the point of being confusing. Also you can connect it to your phone via Bluetooth (even if you don't have service on your phone) and control the device from an app which really streamlines the whole thing.

Features: The most important feature for me was the ability to send and receive custom messages. This allowed us to have meaningful contact with the outside world while on the trail.

Construction & Durability: I've only used this for about a week on the trail, but it's held up great and has shown no signs of wear or tear.

Conditions: I've used this device for a week in the dry Sierra Nevada mountains ranging from 30°F-80°F.

Experience

I've used this device for seven days on the trail, covering roughly 50 miles. I was mostly in open alpine areas though I was in the forest for part of it. The reception isn't great within the forest and I'd have to find a clearing to use it easily.

Source: borrowed it

Welcome to Trailspace, Peter! Thanks for sharing your experience with the inReach Mini.

Bob Withrow

I've had mine for a couple of years and love that it turns my phone into a satellite messenger and an easy to use map interface as well!

We'd love to read your review of the inReach Mini too, Bob!

Want Two Puffy Jackets from Rab?

Six Moon Designs Minimalist V2 Review