Garmont Fusion

The Fusion has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best mountaineering boots for 2021.

photo: Garmont Fusion mountaineering boot

Price Reviewers Paid: $300.00

This is a non-insulated high-top leather climbing boot in the mold of the LaSportiva Nepal Top or the Salomon Super Mt. 9 Guide - in fact it seems to draw heavily on both for its inspiration. I got them off the sale rack for a great price. I don't even know if they can be found any more; which would be a shame - because they are really nice! Excellent worksmanship. Waterproofing is holding up well so far. They happen to fit my feet very well - kind of narrow in the heel/achilles and getting wider towards the toe. The toe-box is actually quite large which gives your toes some wiggle room (nice), but which made fitting step-in crampons a bit wierd. My old BD Switchblades (small size) wouldn't fit - the toe-bail wasn't wide enough. My new Trango Harpoon monopoints fit fine though. With those new crampons, these boot climbed REALLY WELL!! During the hike out after my first day, I did get a blister or two, but I always get a blister or two from new shoes of any sort.

These are non-insulated, so don't expect them to keep your feet warm during extended cold-weather conditions or high altitudes. But for regular New England or lower-48 roadside ice cragging, I have seen the light. I won't go back to my plastic boots unless it is a super cold day.

Materials: Leather moutaineering & ice climbing