Weight 2.9 lb / 1.3 kg
Open size 12.2 x 16.5 x 17.9 in / 31 x 42 x 45.5 cm
Seat width 16.5 in / 42 cm
Folded size 3.7 x 16.3 x 16.5 in / 9.5 x 41.5 x 42 cm
Seat strap length 17 in / 43.2 cm

This canoe seat offered excellent back comfort during…

Disclosure: The author of this review received a sample of the product from the brand or its representative in exchange for a review.

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (I kept the product after testing.)

Summary

This canoe seat offered excellent back comfort during a five-day paddling wilderness adventure. Its light weight and thoughtful design made it easily portagable without having to take it in and out of the canoe. Recommended.

Pros

• Light weight—2.9 lbs
  • Folds small for travel
  • Back support and comfort

Cons

• The fabric wore through from rubbing too easily

This SitBacker canoe seat was a lifesaver on my five-night, six-day wilderness paddling adventure. I was with my grandsons and they were in the front and back of the canoe leaving me to occupy the center seat. It took me a couple days to realize that the portage shoulder cushions could be removed but not before they had rubbed the seat fabric where it wrapped around the vertical supports of the seat back.

Nevertheless, after removing the shoulder cushions the seat performed beautifully and offered excellent lumbar support and cushioning.

Edited-GCI-SitBack.jpg
Because I was in the third seat, which was not fixed to the canoe, I had to transport the SitBacker attached to the removable third seat during portages. An inconvenience, but fortunately, because of the SitBacker's light weight, 2,9 lbs, this was not an issue.

IMG_20170715_201242181_HDR-GCI-Sitbacker
The SitBacker's dual buckle straps make it easy to fasten it to the canoe benches. It was easy to adjust the degree of recline by adjusting the backrest to my comfort level. The lumbar cushion was very comfortable and as a relatively inexperienced paddler this was essential to my surviving the six days on the water. The integrated shoulder strap was very helpful as well. The SitBacker portage lock was useful in keeping the seat from flopping around during the many (20) portages!

One significant drawback was that there was no easy way to keep the seat-back upright when getting into the canoe. Nearly swamped us a couple times as I tried to get in while the seat was folded. Finally, the fabric rubbed thin because of the middle seat location against the shoulder cushions. Fortunately I removed those after a couple days and the seat material survived. Probably my fault.

Edited163240849-GCI-SitBack.jpg
Although I used it for my canoeing adventure it could also be used on bleacher seats at sporting events.

The SitBacker retails for $45 from GCI Outdoors direct. I saw it for $34.99 on Amazon Prime. I received this from the manufacturer's rep for testing and review.

Disclosure: The reviewer received a sample of this product from the brand or its representatives for the purpose of this review.