Gerber Artifact

photo: Gerber Artifact multi-tool

Price MSRP: $12.00
Historic Range: $9.93-$14.86
Reviewers Paid: $9.00

It seems to me that the Artifact is nothing more than a way for Gerber to capitalize on the growing popularity of mini-prybar tools without providing much real functionality. The "screwdriver" tips on the bar are useless with most screws and positioning of the knife combined with the strong pressure required to open it create a very real risk of slicing open a finger.

When I first bought this I thought it would quickly become a regular part of my gear whether I was on a day hike or just going about my day at work, but as soon as I opened the package my girlfriend managed to cut deeply into her finger due to the general safety issues with the exacto knife blade placement.

The bottle opener functions fine just as all bottle openers do, and the bar itself would be useful for light prying, but the sharp edges located around the phillips screwdriver and bottle opener could easily make this a very uncomfortable bar to use. The sharp edge on the Phillips also makes this not suitable to be carried in a pocket as it could open a hole and be lost pretty easily. Admittedly not a big loss for such a low price.

Personally I would recommend a Gerber Shard and find a different lightweight blade without such a bad risk of cutting. Yes this can be used carefully and responsibly, but there are so many knives that can be opened without the presence of mind required by the Artifact.

Win Kora Wool Activewear for Year-Round Adventuring

Klean Kanteen 27oz Classic Review

GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Dualist HS Review

NiteCore NU25 Review

Which Leather Waterproofing/Conditioner Do You Use and Why?

Zamberlan Baffin GT Review