Gerber Freeman Guide

rated 3.5 of 5 stars
photo: Gerber Freeman Guide fixed-blade knife

I bought this to be my primary fixed blade camping knife but it is too small IMO to serve that purpose (at least for someone with my size hands). I still think it's a good knife for its size and for a smaller person I believe it will work well.

Pros

• Full tang, decently thick blade
  • Nice finger and thumb grooves etched into the handle for added grip
  • Good gripping material
  • Holds an edge well
  • Good backup knife

Cons

• Handle is too small for my hands
  • Overall knife length is too short to be a fully functional camp knife

As I mentioned in the Big Rock review, I bought this knife first thinking it'd be larger than it turned out to be. I have the Gerber Freeman Guide folding knife and it's actually larger and beefier than the fixed blade version. I wasn't disappointed in the knife itself, just its size. I ended up ordering the Big Rock which better suits my purpose for a primary knife.

I kept this one as a backup knife or for when one of my daughters need a smaller, sturdier knife for certain camp chores. It fits their hands pretty well. The sheath is an inexpensive canvas with a plastic insert to protect the blade and sheath. It is functional and what's to be expected for a $25 knife.

Overall not a bad knife, just be aware of its size.

Your Review