GoLite Lair 1 Shelter

rated 4.0 of 5 stars

GoLite is no longer in business, and the Lair 1 Shelter has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best tarps and shelters for 2022.

photo: GoLite Lair 1 Shelter tarp/shelter

Price Historic Range: $69.95-$100.00

This was my first tarp! Low cost, easy to set up, and pretty darn light. I enjoyed the fact that it can be set up with three sides flush to the ground. This keeps out rain splash way better than a simple rectangle tarp suspended off the ground.

The sides sag in the rain, as do most silnylon tarps, so I sewed on lifters that added a bit of weight but pull the sides out nicely. Also had a friend sew on a beak over the front opening, which helps keep blowing rain out. The stakes that come with this are junk; get some titanium ones. Trekking poles would be perfect to use as poles, but I always just use sticks from the forest.

Lots of modifications, but I now have a bomber little tarp. I've carried it on the PCT, the CDT and the Colorado Trail. Still going strong. If money wasn't an option I'd replace it with something lighter like a Gossamer Gear SpinnShelter or a MT Laurel Designs Patrol. But I'm a cheapskate so I'll keep this gem until it falls apart. GoLite doesn't even make this anymore, but you can find it online.

Design: 3 season tarp
Ease of Setup: EASY!
Weight: 12 ounces with my modifications

Swiftwick Flite XT Trail Review

Mystery Ranch Forager Hip Pack Review

Salomon Supercross GTX Review

Nittany Mountain Works Cordura Ditty Bag Review

Osprey Stratos 34 Review

Hennessy Hammock HH2O AutoMagic Water Collector & Rainfly Tensioner System Review