Grivel Eagle

rated 3.5 of 5 stars

The Eagle has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best mountaineering axes/piolets for 2020.

photo: Grivel Eagle mountaineering axe/piolet

Price Historic Range: $71.36-$101.95
Reviewers Paid: $70.00

This is a light axe, for sure. I like it fine for walking; the head is comfortable in piolet (or however you spell it) position. The pick is pretty good although I'd like it to penetrate in ice better. The real pain for me is the adze. It is angled down and is a hassle to use. I'm thinking of bending it up but I know it will weaken it. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a SMC...

The Eagle is alright for walking but I wouldn't go too far up the mountain with it.

Great Axe for classic mountaineering. It is lightweight and very comfortable to hold. The pick really digs into hard ice and can self arrest smoothly on steep icy slopes. My only complaint is the adze, it has a curved arch to it which I think lowers its ability to cut steps out smoothly. I have found that it takes a few more swings to cut a suitable step on the slopes. Overall great axe for a mountaineer on a budget!

How to Get Outside and Recreate Responsibly this Winter

Hoka TenNine Hike GTX Review

Jetboil MiniMo Cooking System Review

ZJ Sport Epic Medium Wing Paddle Review

Does anyone have plans to build something like this