GSI Outdoors Glacier Camp Stove

Q&A

Have a question about liquid fuel? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

I am a convert. Although I have used larger camping…

Price Paid: at retail

Summary

I am a convert.

Pros

• Inexpensive
  • Simple
  • Works much better than I thought it would
  • Accommodates pots of various sizes

Cons

• It disappointed me in no way

Although I have used larger camping stoves, I had no previous experience with a "backpacking" stove. My son nagged me into purchasing and bringing this on our most recent backpacking trip.

I never wanted one. Buying a stove, when sticks are free, always offended my sense of thrift.

BUT, I think I was wrong. This thing is great. It is light, it is easy to use, it is quick, it is clean, and it works so much better than I expected.

Setup: Really easy to set up. Screw on gas canister; twist open valve; light.

Ignition: No built-in ignition. I lit it with a cigarette lighter. I do not see this as a problem. The ignition mechanisms on my kitchen stove have worn out.

Flame Control: More variation than I expected. Has to be turned all the way up to boil, so I suppose it can simmer.

Cooking: Has to be turned all the way up to boil, so I suppose it can simmer and fry. Baking, I don't see how.

Boil Time: I didn't time it, and I didn't use it in sheltered conditions. It seemed quick enough.

Wind: There is no included windscreen. It did blow out once in a high wind, and worked much better with sheet of tin foil on the windward side. Sitting in front of it also worked.

Fuel Efficiency: After two breakfasts, one dinner, and three coffee breaks (for two people)—say a gallon and a half of water—there seems to be a bit more than half of the fuel in one canister (the GSI isobutane canister) left.

Stability: Surprisingly good. The retailer recommended a sort of tripod thing to go underneath, but didn't have any left, so we did without. It worked fine, on an only flatish rock, even with a two-quart pot.

Packability: A canister fits perfectly into my big tin cup. The stove itself comes in a little bag, and is easy to tuck in pretty much anywhere, and sturdy enough not to worry about.

Ease of Use: As noted above, very easy to set up. So far, with the caveat that the item has not been subjected to long use, it works well, and as expected.

Features: The stove is very simple: A valve which screws on to the canister, a flame spreader, and three toothed arms to hold the pot. I was surprised at how well it worked, with metal cups of varying sizes (one smaller than the burner, one about the same size) and a two-quart pot.

Construction & Durability: It has been on only one trip so far. It seems sturdy and well made.

Conditions: Used on only one trip, but it was well below freezing (about 25° F) and at times, very windy.
glacier-stove.jpg

Thanks for the review, MHW. Please keep us posted on how your stove continues to work out.