GSI Outdoors Thrive 1 Person Set

photo: GSI Outdoors Thrive 1 Person Set plate/bowl

Price Historic Range: $5.92-$15.37
Reviewers Paid: $5.00

This is a basic set of dish, bowl, cup, and utensils, which comes in a mesh carry bag. It is designed to facilitate eating with the dish on your lap. It is a nice little set, which while probably not the most durable, serves us well for car and canoe camping.

Pros

• Nests into mesh bag,
  • Can hook cup or utensils over edge of plate
  • Inexpensive

Cons

• Not sure of long term durability
  • Measurment markings on cup are on outside

plate-set.jpg

After years of using a hodgepodge of eating utensils and cups and plates, I decided to get some new stuff to go with our new GSI insulated mugs...( see my review of the mugs). I checked out GSI products, and found a great sale on this set.

This set is made of dishwasher safe polypropylene,  and includes an elliptical dish (designed to place across your lap), with a raised rim that can help hold the cup or bowl in place. The cup is not insulated, so we have used it only for cold liquids. It does have measurement lines on it, helpful for preparing freeze-dried meals...however, the lines are on the outside, whereas I find it easier to use lines in the interior of a cup, since it is a solid dark blue opaque color.

There are spaces on the edge of the plate, where you can hang the cup, or place the utensils (it comes with a ringed set of fork, knife, and spoon). The entire set comes in a mesh bag.

plates-photo.jpg

The set is easy to pack with our canoe camping kitchen pack. I actually have two of these sets, and have placed them together in one mesh bag for transport.

The set is dishwasher safe, and does not appear flimsy. Since it was inexpensive, I am not too concerned about damage or loss. Had I paid the original MSRP of $21.95, I may not be so cavalier about that.

Certainly, for a convenient, easy to use, complete meal set, I could recommend this GSI Outdoors Thrive set...especially if you get it on a good sale.

Thanks for the helpful review of this set, Sheila.

Final Days: Review Your Gear to Win Kora Wool Layers