Hammock Gear Premium Incubator 20°

photo: Hammock Gear Premium Incubator 20° under quilt

Price MSRP: $269.95
Reviewers Paid: $268.00
Weight 21.64 oz

Bigger in size with a finer down than its ECO version, Hammock Gear’s Premium Incubator 20 is one of the best full-price gear purchases I have ever made. Once again the cottage industry proves its superiority to shelved items at REI.

Pros

• Quality
  • Warmth-to-weight ratio

Cons

• Wait time on order
  • Cost

I suffer from a hiking condition known as CBS (Cheap B@st@rd Syndrome). If you look over my gear reviews you will see loads of sentences like, “I bought this on clearance,” or “It was on sale.” And I often steer clear of name-brand stuff, unless I pick it up used or deeply discounted. HG’s Premium Incubator 20 is NOT one of those CBS purchases. I did my research and coughed up the dough to pay full price for this quality underquilt, and I have not regretted the purchase after four years and many nights out on the trail.

20180417_082147.jpg

I specifically purchased the Premium version of the Incubator 20, due to my 6’2" frame. Given that my DreamHammock is 11' long, I felt a bigger quilt would work better. I also paid for the extra ounce of 850 down to essentially make the underquilt a 15-degree one. The bigger size and extra down does edge up the weight to 24.4 ounces, but since I sleep cold, I have no complaints on the weight.

20180417_082158.jpg
Each UQ is built to order. While that means a longer wait time (2-3 weeks, longer around Christmas), it also means you are getting a handmade piece of quality craftsmanship made in the USA. The stitching is straight and tight. After four years of use, I have yet to pull on a loose thread.

20180417_082307.jpg

The cut of the UQ provides a shape that hugs the natural curve of a hammock (see first photo). There is a definitive wider top end to wrap around your shoulders and a narrow foot end to go around the feet. This cut reduces weight, while fitting a hammock exceptionally well.

Some of the extra features include:

• Elastic cord locks to help “dial in” and hold the UQ in place for maximum insulation.

20180417_082259.jpg

• S-hooks to quickly attach and detach the QU to the hammock. Newer Incubators come with color-coded S-hooks to help differentiate between head and foot (I just look for the HG tag at the head end.).

20180417_082253.jpg

• Helpful plastic “rings” that can be used to clip the UQ to a compatible hammock setup.

20180417_082205.jpg

• Since my DangerBird does not have the compatible setup, I use the rings to keep my sleeping bag in place at night.

20180417_082218.jpg
If the Premium Incubator is too expensive for you, the ECO model has been well-reviewed by others here on Trailspace. But I stand by this purchase and highly recommend it.

Experience

The Incubator has been with me on everything from car camping to multi-night trips in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and Ozark Mountains. I have taken it down to the upper-20s, but tend to weenie out when it gets much colder.

Great review, Goose! So, does this mean that the Incubator is now called the Economy Incubator to differentiate it from this Premium version? https://www.trailspace.com/gear/hammock-gear/incubator-20/

g00se

Yes. There is an Economy and Premium version. Premium is longer, with choice of down 850 or 950. Eco down is only 800.

KiwiKlimber

Yes, that cost is high, but dang does it look nice!

g00se

I agree KK. Worth every penny.

FlipNC

Thanks for this Goose. I may have to pick one up for the better half now that she is a hammocker...the temp range seems about right. Birthday present taken care of!