Very light, pack very small, reliable, and easy to…

Price Paid: $155 Australian Dollars

Summary

Very light, pack very small, reliable, and easy to use.

Pros

• Very light
  • Pack fast and small

Cons

• The supplied basket is no good for use in snow
  • All the same colour, so needed to label the bags to make sure you get your poles

We own two pairs of these poles and I have just ordered another pair of the Passport TLs as I initially purchased the shorter 115cm poles and have since realized I prefer longer 125 cm poles.

These poles are fixed in length so make your purchase carefully. They come in three sections connected by elastic shockcord and take seconds to extend and connect up. When folded and packed away they are smaller than a rolled newspaper.

Once extended and locked there are no issues with the poles coming disconnected. The closest this came to happening was in very sticky mud or deep snow which sometimes held onto the tiny baskets fitted and tried to pull the sections apart; this never happened but with the bigger baskets fitted this could potentially happen.

These poles are very well constructed and over the last two years of hiking my wife and I have traversed some very rough country including numerous trails across the Scottish Highlands, Tasmania's notorious Icehouse Trail (a day to remember), and numerous tracks around southwest of Western Australia. These very light poles have held up to all that use/travel and kept me on my feet, all 120Kg of me.

Each pair comes with its own bag and because the poles are all identical to look at when collapsed we have labelled the bags with our initials. I look ludicrous with my wife's 110 cm poles.

The tips work well, we rarely fit the rubber ends, the metal tips grip just fine even on wet rock and ice (if you can punch it in a bit).

Its the light weight that we enjoy most. My wife only weighs 45 Kg so I get to carry the bulk of the gear. Needless to say heavy poles would not be welcomed by either of us.

I couldn't be happier with these poles.

Welcome to Trailspace, Rod! Thanks for your helpful review of your Helinox poles. It sounds like you and your wife have hiked in some great locations with them.