Q&A

Have a question about hiking boots? Get answers in the gear selection forum.

Good comfy waterproof hiking boot. Sketchy quality…

Summary

Good comfy waterproof hiking boot. Sketchy quality control. Okay for backpacking, but with issues.

Pros

• Waterproof
  • Toe bumpers

Cons

• Thin sole
  • Sole not grippy when wet
  • Quality control

I've used the men's version of Hi-Tec Skamania WP boots for over a year now, from day hiking to a 7-day backpack trip on the AT. The boots look good and are fairly lightweight for a hiking boot. The fit is a bit tight so I went up 1/2 size and fit was better.

The first pair had a cracked shank after a short neighborhood walk. Sent back with no problems for replacement. With the second pair one of the eyelets ripped out when lacing up for the fourth time. I did not pull too harshly to tighten. These two things indicate a lack of quality control or manufacturing processes. Sent back and replaced with a third pair.

I've used that pair for day hikes in Colorado, Yellowstone NP, and the Grand Tetons. No issues at all and the waterproofness was successfully tested with stream crossings.

I just finished a 7-day backpack trip on the AT in N. Carolina with a max 35lb pack. The boots provided enough ankle support to make it a comfortable hike and the toe bumpers were nice as many boulders were encountered and much scraping ensued.

The only major issue I had with the boots on this trip was the thin soles. I could feel every rock and root I stepped on like I was wearing slippers. This wore out my feet after 7 miles each day.  The soles also don't grip rocks well when wet, but then even some expensive boots I've owned in the past failed in this regard as well.

Overall, a good day hiking boot and light or slack-packing boot, but beware of longer backpacking trips with heavier packs.

Thanks for letting us know how your boots worked out, Tim. I'm sorry to hear you've had to replace them, but glad the company stood by them for you. Got any pictures of yours to share in your review?