Highgear AltiTech

photo: Highgear AltiTech handheld altimeter

Price MSRP: $150.00
Historic Range: $126.95-$139.99
Reviewers Paid: $150.00

If altimeter was remotely accurate and compass less cumbersome to calibrate it would be a fantastic tool.

Pros

• Multiple features
  • clip on outside of pack
  • night illumination

Cons

• useless altimeter
  • programming compass cumbersome

I owned the Altitech for a number of years. I love the fact that it can be clipped on the outside of a pack (in winter who can read a watch when it's under a couple of layers?) and it has all the basic features (too many actually) one might ever need.

My motivation to buy one was to keep track of altitude and changing weather conditions which are dependent upon good barometric readings. When I first purchased it, the altimeter readings were usually accurate within a couple of hundred feet. Then I started to notice that the readings were off by well over 1000 - 2000 feet. Essentially useless.

I thought it was broken so I bought a new one which I quickly realized had the same problem. I carefully follow the directions on how to set both the barometric pressure as well as the current altitude readings to no avail. When I reached out to High Gear for help or direction, I received NO response. Are you kidding me?

Also be aware that the thermometer can be affected by your body heat; the sensor is on the back of the unit witch faces your body. So basically I have a $150 digital watch. What a waste. I will never purchase another product from High Gear.

Want Two Puffy Jackets from Rab?

Six Moon Designs Minimalist V2 Review