Hyke & Byke Zion 2P

rated 5.0 of 5 stars (1)
photo: Hyke & Byke Zion 2P three-season tent

Price Current Retail: $89.97
Reviewers Paid: $105.00

Hyke & Byke thought about the little things with…

Summary

Hyke & Byke thought about the little things with this tent. I find it to be an amazing value for the price. It comes with lightweight ground cover, which has grommets for the tent poles. This allows for a lightweight option, but more importantly, the ability to erect this tent in the rain. This is a single pole tent system.

Pros

• Easy to set up
  • Single pole system
  • Can set this up in the rain; ability to set up rain fly first, allowing for the main tent to be set up beneath the rain fly.
  • Has two doors and two vestibules.

Cons

• This is not a lightweight tent. It weighs in at 6 lbs.
  • The vent supports are poorly made. I had to reinforce them.

I love this tent for many reasons. Perhaps most of all due to the price, and the amount of space I have. It feels like camping in a condo.

The price is amazing! Almost too good to be true (got it for $105). But so far I find this tent to be very sturdy and up to the task. No noted flaws. I've only been through light rain with this tent, so I'l update this when I encounter a heavy rainstorm during the night.

With the single pole system, this tent is super easy to set up. It is designed to be set up in the rain. The pole system secures into the grommets on the ground cover. You can then set up the rain fly, and erect the main body of the tent beneath the rain fly. I've done this during a light rain. It worked great!

The ground cover is included with the tent and is made of 63 denier polyester.

The bathtub floor and rainfly is also made of 63 denier polyester.

At just over 6 pounds, this is a little heavy for most hikers. Even for a two-person tent. The Hyke & Byke Zion 1P might be an option, but it still weighs around 5 pounds.

This tent has two vestibules. Both vestibules are very easy to setup. Just one stake does the trick. The vestibules can be open in different combinations to allow for maximum ventilation.

The stakes include a patented disk to aide in securing the stakes.

I ultimately switched from my Eureka to this tent due to a number of things. The ease of setup, the included ground cover, and the story of the Hyke & Byke team. I encourage you to go to their website and read about them.

Experience

I've taken this into the backcountry twice. So far I've only encountered light rain with this tent.

Bob Withrow

Good review but this sure looks like a Copper Spur from BA.

Jerry Caldwell GUIDE/OUTFITTER

I agree, it does have quite the resemblance. Except for the price. It took me some time to finally pull the trigger on the Zion. I believe in "you get what you pay for." The low price definitely made me nervous. But so far I'm very happy. It's heavy at 6 lbs, but I'm okay with that. I know that many backpackers these days want lighter. I get that.

Welcome to Trailspace, Jerry!

Jerry Caldwell GUIDE/OUTFITTER

Thanks! Not sure how many quality reviews I can submit. My budget doesn't allow for multiple purchases per year. I stretch out my gear usage. But I do have a few more coming. :)

Great, Jerry! Reviews of gear at any budget level are always appreciated.