Integral Designs Crysallis

My first use of this bivy was on a three-day float…

Design: Bivy
Ease of Setup: Pull it out of the stuff sack and crawl in.

My first use of this bivy was on a three-day float on the Buffalo River. There was snow on the ground the entire time and the temperature never got above 30 degrees. I'm 6'5" and about 250lbs. and the long version of this bivy has very adequate room for someone my size.

I like the bendable rod to keep the dome off my face, but after it's been stuffed a few times it takes a little effort to get it bent back into a useful shape. I really like the stovepipe vent on the back of the dome for ventilation. I didn't encounter any rain to test the waterproofness, but with the vent closed I did encounter condensation crystals on the inside of the dome (don't reach up and touch them or they fall on your face :).

Overall, though, I'm very pleased with this bivy.

The Crysallis has been discontinued.

The Integral Designs Crysallis is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen October 3, 2008 at Backcountry.com.

Win a Helle Wabakimi Knife by "Survivorman" and a Kupilka FireSteel