Iron Mountain Works Gear Hut 2

Just finished my third trip using this tent and I'm…

Design: Three season freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: Simple
Weight: 5lbs 9oz.

Just finished my third trip using this tent and I'm impressed! Basic 4'10" x 7'4" (by my tape) freestanding rectangular two pole dome tent, two doors with two vestibules. Similar to Eureka Apex XT or Kelty Vortex but less weight, 5lbs. 9oz. (on my fishing scale) pack weight. That's with everything that came with it: 3 stuff bags (pegs, pole and one for everything), aluminum poles (pole splint included also), coated nylon fly (bright yellow, I think its color is the thing I like least about the tent), tent (coated gray nylon floor, white breathable nylon / gray mash upper), 12 pegs (4 for tent, 4 for fly, 4 for extra guy-outs for windy weather) and some guy line. Leave out the extra sacks, pegs and guy line and its right at 5-1/2 lbs.

Plenty of room in tent for two, room in each vestibule for boots and pack and still leaves room to get in and out. Large mesh area in each door, plus two mid-size triangular mesh areas on top, fairly good ventilation even with both flys zipped all the way up. Leave the fly 1/4 to 1/2 open on both sides and it catches the breeze from any direction and sends it right through the tent. Simple setup, instructions sewn into big stuff sack if you need them, takes as long to get everything out of the stuff sacks as to set it up. Tent connected to poles by clips only, no sleeves. Sealed all seams in tent floor and fly even though they come taped.

Spent one night a hard rain, 25mph winds, no water in tent (although we did use only the door on the lee side, love the two doors) very minimal condensation on fly in the morning, none in tent. Rain flap over fly zippers fastens down with velcro, no problems with rain through the zipper like I've heard some tens do. Fly sagged slightly after the soaking, but not as bad as some that I have had, never adjusted it during the night, but I set it up fairly tight, fly never touched the tent even with the wind and slight sag.

The only drawback to me (other than the yellow color) is the packed size, which isn't really that bad, the poles fold down to 18", the big "everything" stuff sack is about 7" x 19", but the tent fits in it very loose, I can pack the tent and fly down into the bottom 1/2 of the sack. Without the poles and pegs, I can stuff the tent and fly into my 6" x 12" stuff sack with room left.

Good, solid tent. Bombproof in a storm, and no drippage…

Design: three season
Ease of Setup: Extremely Easy- possible to do in 2 minutes while raining, and still keep everything dry.
Weight: 6lbs 8oz

Good, solid tent. Bombproof in a storm, and no drippage through the fly onto the tent wall. Easy setup, can be done with one person. Two big vestibules can fit packs and still have room to cook and chill. I like freestanding tents because they are more weatherproof and easier to set up. This one is a bit heavy, but the price is good and it's well made.

The Gear Hut 2 has been discontinued.

The Iron Mountain Works Gear Hut 2 is not available from the stores we monitor.

NRS H2Core Silkweight Hoodie Review