Jacks 'R' Better Sierra Sniveller

Material 1.1 oz., 30 denier, ripstop nylon
Length 78 in / 1.98 m 86 in / 2.18 m
Width 52 in / 1.32 m 52 in / 1.32 m
Loft 2.5 in / 6.4 cm

This quilt is lightweight, very compact, and ultra…

Summary

This quilt is lightweight, very compact, and ultra warm. If you are looking to cut weight and save space without compromise this is the quilt for you.

Pros

• Warm
  • Packs small

Cons

• A little pricey

I bought this quilt because I got claustrophobic being confined in a mummy bag. I began using my mummy bag as a quilt and realized how much wasted space and weight I was carrying this way.

I purchased the midrange level quilt 800 fill/long and when I received it was skeptical if it was going to be warm enough when I saw the size of it. I took it to the test and went into the high Sierras and was sweating in 30 degree weather. The temperature dropped down to 19 degrees. I was sleeping on an insulated air mattress wearing a pair of shorts and t-shirt. I stayed warm enough that I was sweating.

This quilt allows you open up and ventilate very easily so you can regulate your comfort zone. After taking this quilt out on three separate week-long hikes there is no way I will ever go back to a sleeping bag. I love this quilt enough I would trust it on a winter trip. It is a 3-plus-season quilt even being rated at 30 degrees.

This is a must have for any hiker wanting to cut weight and space without fear of being cold.

Thanks for sharing your quilt review, Mike. I'd love to see some pictures of yours, if you're willing to share them. Also, I believe you have the Sierra Sniveler model, right? If not, just let me know and I'll make sure it's on the right product page. Thanks!

g00se

I love JRB products! Very well made. Thanks for the review.

dirtwheels

Thanks for the review, I love my JRB products.

Decent features. But there was a miscommunication…

Summary

Decent features. But there was a miscommunication from the owner that caused a sleepless and cold night for me.

Pros

• Design features were good - I liked the cutout in the middle to wear in the morning to stay warm/dry any condensation

Cons

• Didn't perform as expected nor as assured by company

Rob R

I had a Sierra Sniveller. Sold it. At 50 inches, it wasn't wide enough for me. Mine had adequate down in the baffles though and I used it in some fairly cool temps, right around freezing. I switched to an EE Revelation and it is a much better quilt.

Welcome to Trailspace, Josh. It sounds like you had a frustrating experience with this product. Did you happen to get any pictures of your quilt to show in your review before you sent it back?

DrPhun

When the owner of a company is willing to spend an hour on the phone with you, I wouldn't call that bad customer service. There must be some other disconnect. It is always a risk to push the limits of quilt or sleeping bag. I always take a couple of those chemical hand warmers in case it gets colder than I expect.

DrPhun

On their website, they have a quilt comparison chart that shows the Sierra Sniveller comfortable to 25-30 degrees and the High Sierra Sniveller comfortable to 5 -10 degrees. You reviewed the 25-30 degree one, not the 5-10 degree one. Perhaps that was the disconnect?

Ashley Ann

This is a good example of someone providing a negative review for an item they attempted to comfortably use outside of it's spectrum.

Ashley Ann

I would like to see a screenshot of said email, perhaps with the Sierra Sniveller used in a hammock setup you can extend its reach while adding an underquilt, I don't know, I don't hammock. The specs on this quilt clearly state a temp range of 25-30F. Not sure about most here, but I buy insulation rated to 10° lower than the avg temp or bring one rated to the lowest expected or historical degree and then add insulation if needed. I've honestly never come across a review quite like this besides from those that don't bother understanding the pros and cons, limitations of your gear.

Sounds like a confusing and frustrating experience, Josh. What EE quilt did you end up with? I hope you'll consider reviewing it as well.