JanSport Yellowstone

rated 4.5 of 5 stars

The Yellowstone has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best three-season tents for 2021.

Price Reviewers Paid: $110.00

This was a great investment. I bought it on a closeout and have used it regularly for the past ten years. The only trouble was a tear in the pole tube and a bent pole during a driving rainstorm. Overall, a wonderful tent for backpacking. The layout was large enough for two (I'm 6'4"), two small dogs, and gear!

Design: Three-season free standing dome
Ease of Setup: Easy
Weight: 2.3 kg
Price Paid: 89.99

I've only used this once on a 3 day trip in Arizona, but during the trip this tent was subjected to every kind of weather nature can dish out with the exception of snow. The first day it poured, howled (the wind, that is), and hailed. The tent stayed dry, except you have to stake out the fly or else water drips on the tent and under it. It isn't very tall, and doesn't vent exceptionally well, so in the morning when I'd sit up (and I'm 5'8"), I would brush water onto my stuff with my head. It's also kind of bulky when packed. On the up side, the floor is very roomy and the tent is pretty sturdy (3 poles). It also has 2 doors which, although they are a bit small, makes exiting the tent easier for 2 people.

Design: 3 season dome
Sleeps: 2.5
Ease of Setup: not too easy, not too hard - the poles tend to catch on the sleeves
Weight: 7 lbs