Katadyn Exstream/MyBottle Virustat Kit

Great filter. Only imparts a slight iodine taste.

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

Great filter. Only imparts a slight iodine taste.

Pros

• Excellent filtration
  • Easy to replace cartridge
  • Reliable

Cons

• Slight iodine taste

I've used this setup for a few years to filter water on hikes up to a week long. I have filtered water from disgusting cow ponds and have never gotten sick. The flow rate is on the slow side, but it's a small price to pay for a great filtration system.

This kit gives me enough confidence to drink water from pretty much any source if necessary. I find that the slow flow rate actually makes me drink more often and keep hydrated as opposed to chugging water which can produce a dangerous electrolyte imbalance.

The filter does impart a slight iodine taste, but it doesn't taste bad at all—perfectly drinkable. My bottle broke after many, many years (it was passed down to me), but I just replaced it with a random bottle that fit the lid and it has kept rocking on.

Nowadays, there are many smaller, lighter options with faster flow rates, but this would always be my go-to for sketchy water sources. It has kept me hydrated and disease-free reliably.

Thanks for another helpful review, Roberto!