Katadyn Gravity BeFree 3.0L

photo: Katadyn Gravity BeFree 3.0L pump/gravity water filter

Price Current Retail: $54.95-$69.95
Historic Range: $44.96-$69.95
Reviewers Paid: $55.00

I wanted a filtration system that was easier to use…

Summary

I wanted a filtration system that was easier to use than the Sawyer. I found it.

Pros

• Easy to filter and fill
  • Fast filtration
  • Collapsible and packs down very small

Cons

• Life of filter

This system is super fast and easy. I used it on a weekend backpacking trip on the Appalachian Trail and could not be more pleased with it. While the filter doesn't filter as much water as the Sawyer (you can filter about 1,000 liters before you need to replace the filter), the trade out is there is no backflushing necessary and it's much faster to fill the reservoir because the opening is bigger than the Sawyer (43 mm).

It is very lightweight and easy to store when empty. The 3-liter size was perfect for giving me enough extra water at camp and still having enough left to fill my bladder system in the morning. It comes in other sizes as well. It has a carrying handle that makes it easy to carry back to camp. It filters 2 liters per minute. I didn't feel like I needed to be careful not to blow out the bag (as has happened with other systems).

I HIGHLY recommend this system.

Thanks for the review, Lori!

1 year ago