This is NOT a hiking/trail shoe. But when Northwest…

Materials: Leather
Break-in Period: Minimal

This is NOT a hiking/trail shoe. But when Northwest Airlines lost my luggage it was all I had for a week in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

I wore them because they're slip-ons making it easy to deal with airline security. They're also extremely comfortable walking shoes I've worn for four years. Not exactly the recommended configuration for Arctic camping. But with the addition of two pairs of wool hiking socks, they got the job done.

They're essentially waterproof with decent enough lug traction. With a removable footbed I let the perspiration dry out at night and minimized the stink factor. Soles are sturdy enough to protect foot bottoms and reduce fatigue when hiking in rocky areas. Obviously not great for ankle support, but that was never their intent.

My real hikers are Asolo's and they're great. But when the time comes for new hikers, they'll be Keens.