Keen Boulder

The Boulder has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best sport sandals for 2021.

photo: Keen Boulder sport sandal

Men's
Price Historic Range: $16.88-$90.00
Reviewers Paid: $90.00
Women's
Price Historic Range: $49.97-$90.00

These multi-purpose water shoes/light trail hikers immediately felt great on my feet. No "hot spots" on my feet from any of the straps. The footbed was heaven. I have not tried them in the water yet, but I am sure, based on the their materials, they would dry quickly. There was no break in period. I wore them out of REI as soon as I decided to buy them.

Why did I decide to purchase these shoes? I was impressed by the toe caps which would provide more toe protection from rocks and trail debris compared to open toe sandals.

The only drawback I discovered with these, is they do not do well in sandy areas or areas that I live in which has decomposed granite (Lake Tahoe) all over the place. I find myself constantly dumping out the shoes of sand and debris. I have found that debris I pick up on the trail does not escape the shoe very well compared to open toe sandals that I can shake out while I am still wearing them. That is the only reason they received 4 stars from me instead of 5. This was my mistake. I just learned that open toe sandals or hiking boots would do better in this area with all the decomposed granite. Any other type of terrain or soil, especially water, I think they would perform beyond 5 stars.

Even though I have to dump out these shoes, I could not bring myself to return them. When I travel to other regions that I know will have a different soil, I will for sure be wearing my Boulders. I think Keen does a great job on their shoes.

Materials: polyester, nylon, rubber
Use: day hikes, light hiking, water crossings, kayaking
Break-in Period: immediate