Kelty Cyclone 3/4

The Cyclone 3/4 has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best 3-4 season convertible tents for 2021.

Price Reviewers Paid: $150.99-$315.00

This tent is unfortunately about ready for retirement, or zipper repairs, because I have used it a lot for car camping as well as backpacking. We were out in October in one of those 100-year rainstorms (with lots of wind) in southern Utah that washed out roads, etc., and the tent kept us completely dry. I sopped about 2 cups of water out of the tent after pitching it (that's a lot of rain!) and we got a bit of water inside getting in and out, and that was it.

John

Design: 3-pole, 3-seas dome, large vestibules
Ease of Setup: A bit clunky getting the poles in. Not bad overall.
Weight: 8 lb ?
Price Paid: ???

I love this tent, simply stated the best tent I have ever owned. I bought mine used and the previous owner also raved about the tent!! I have had it out in 0 degree weather with the snow flying and it has held up amazingly!!

My buddy and I winter camp and it has suited us very well. Sleeps two comfortably thanks to the good sized dual vestibules!! There is plenty of space in them for a full size (6000 cu. in.) pack! I am 6'1" and I fit comfortably in the tent. It also has dual doors, which is a huge plus as you do not need to disrupt your buddy for a late night stroll!!

Design: 3-4 season, freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: fairly easy, slide through poles a little difficult for first-timers
Weight: a little under 8 lbs

I just used this tent for the first time and we were hit with thunderstorms that produced small hail, winds strong enough to damage some homes in a nearby town and a couple of inches of rain. We stayed bone dry and the tent didn't budge an inch in all that wind. For the money, this is a great tent with lots of room and extras. It may be a bit on the heavy side for backpacking but the Cyclone 2 would be perfect for that. I would suggest this tent for beginners and serious campers alike. I would hold this tent up to a North Face or Moss tent any day.

Design: convertible