Kelty MG

The MG has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best lumbar/hip packs for 2022.

photo: Kelty MG lumbar/hip pack

I have consistently used this as a daypack without using the collapsible top compartment, which is conveniently zipped into the lid to stay out of the way. I just finished using it on an overnight backpacking hike where admittedly I'm an ultralight weight minimalist backpacker.

I loaded the waterproof lower compartment with my camp shoes, flannel pants and shirt, two sets of undies and socks, plus a book and an extra large trash bag. In the top part I loaded a Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter and extras, a bag containing two days' worth of food, my esbit pocket stove, six tablets, and snacks, plus a pouch with my bear bagging rope. At the top was stuffed my rolled up raingear (pants and hooded jacket). In the bottom loop I stashed my Hennessey Hammock Hyper-lite shelter, and on top of that I lashed my tightly rolled sleeping bag in its waterproof stuff sack.

I carried two quart bottles of water in the side pockets and a snakebite kit in the zippered outside pocket. I also carried a 2 liter water bladder in the top section, because you can never have enough water! I could have stuffed more into the top pack, but didn't need to. I also always carry a small "tummy pack" that has my daily stuff like tissues, vaseline, camera, binoculars, toiletries, hygiene gear, and snacks. I wish I could find a Kelty that has an integral tummy pack as part of the lumbar pack belt system, but that's my personal design dream.

As an ultra-lightweight backpacker, my trek mates on the Pinchot Trail in Pennsylvania were awed at the amount of stuff I carried in my Kelty MG and at how light I kept my overall packweight. It was sleek, and looked like it was meant to carry my "stuff" exactly the way I packed it.

Design: Fanny pack with extra top rucksack
Size: 1000 cu