We use these tents on all our Kilimanjaro treks, and…

Design: 4-season dome tent
Ease of Setup: Easy to set up

We use these tents on all our Kilimanjaro treks, and they perform great. Sometimes the weather on Kili can be windy, wet, and snowy, and they hold up well. We only put 2 people in the tent even though it is a 4-person tent, and then they are quite roomy.

This is a very good tent although it is quite heavy.

Design: four-season
Ease of Setup: simple 2 pole setup with vaulted pole sleeves
Weight: 12 lbs
Price Paid: $250 with footprint

This is a very good tent although it is quite heavy.

Three buddies and I used the tent on a canoing trip up in Minnesota with the average temp of 40F during the day. It held up nicely during downpours and freezing nights 10-20F (it truly is a 4 season tent).

It was a tight fit for 4 “American Men”, but the vestibules were handy to cover our equipment. The tent design was quick and easy to set up solo, kept me dry and safe through monstrous winds, hail and rain that came in every direction. Some water condensation, but with four men fishing for a week and rain everyday what would you expect.

If you use this for an extended hike make sure you spread the weight. I went on a hike with the family during the summer months. Although I dispersed the weight (how much can you do with little children) I noticed during the end of the day the tent could be lighter. The evenings were very pleasant without the rainfly, but seemed hot with it on and the vents open.

It should work for large groups (such as Boy Scout troops). The design should be rugged enough for younger adventurers. Just insert two poles and the majority of the work is done. The tent stakes are not skimpy and are made to handle the weather.

The patented clips that are attached on the polyester rainfly are a very nice feature. It keeps it taught during driving rains. And the rainfly actually goes down to the ground, a hard feature to find without paying for it!

Overall this is a very good tent for the price.

I am a Scout leader who camps every month all year…

Design: 4-season free standing
Ease of Setup: so simple a cave scout could do it

I am a Scout leader who camps every month all year long regardless of the weather. I personally own six tents. If I bought this one first, I would own just one. It's my favorite for all types of weather. It's held up in some violent storms and I stayed dry. You get some condensation inside if you don't vent some of your heat out in the winter but that is the only slight negative I can think of. Sleeps two comfortably with gear inside. Three fit snuggly. Four--forget it.

The Quartz 4 has been discontinued.

The Kelty Quartz 4 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 17, 2010 at SunnySports.

Keen Targhee Vent Mid Review