Kilpi Hastar

photo: Kilpi Hastar waterproof jacket

Weight 500 g
Material 100% polyester
Size S - 3XL

Breathability at a good price.

Pros

• Good price
  • Excellent breathability
  • Recco reflector
  • Nice colors
  • Detachable powder skirt

Cons

• Not very stiff brim
  • Was expecting it to be more lightweight
  • Pit zips could use zipper pulls

Kilpi = Shield in Finish as it reflects the company's philosophy to protect the user from the elements and it's a pretty popular brand here due to its cheap price and good looking products.

Hastar is the company's flagship hardshell due to its impressive numbers.

It features detachable powder skirt, pit zips, Recco reflector, five waterproof external pockets with glove-friendly pulls, one internal, adjustable hood with semi stiff brim, and adjustable velcro cuffs.

The adjustability was without hitch and I was able to fine tune the fit accordingly. I bought it in medium size and I believe it's a bit on the smaller side. I have used it with just a base layer and sometimes with a light training jacket and it was just about right, but I don't know if I could use it with a puff jacket underneath. And I was not as heavy as I am now...
DSC00044.jpg
I've rarely used it over the two years since its purchase, so I've never seen any bubbling. It did a good job in holding medium to heavy rain at bay, but with those conditions I cannot truly comment about its breathability because when you're under one hour in downpour and the humidity outside is close to 100% it's no wonder you'll be soaking wet from the inside since the body's humidity has nowhere to go. It DID however an excellent job at wind-blocking and keeping me almost dry under light rain (I sweat a lot)!

Hastar is a three-layer hardshell, so like many other counterparts don't expect a wicking liner. Also I had to buy extra zipper pulls for the pit zips since it was hard to use the pit zips without them.

DSC00045.jpg

P_20171209_164327_HDR.jpg

Experience

It doesn't seem as robust as Gore-Tex PRO, but it does the job at half the price.
So thumbs up, I guess?!

Price Paid: 260€ (on sale)

I hadn't heard of this brand before. Thanks for sharing it, Nick!

Nick Mesarhakis