Kuiu Peloton 97 Fleece Zip-T Hoodie

Weight 5 oz / 142 g
Material Toray Karuishi fleece
Fit Mid layer fit
Conditions Cold/wet

Very lightweight fleece base/mid-layers—dry quickly and a lot of warmth for the weight.

Pros

• extremely lightweight
  • high warmth-to-weight ratio
  • durable after a lot of use/washings
  • feels good on the skin

Cons

• a little pricey

Kuiu is probably a name a lot of folks aren't familiar with. They are a brand that focuses on backcountry hunting, but they make a lot of really good outdoor clothing suitable for any outdoor pursuit.

I'm reviewing both the Peloton 97 zip hoody and zip-off bottoms, same material.

I had read some really positive reviews on the Peloton 97 zip hoody and was looking for a really light fleece top and this fit the bill. The hoody weighs in at a very svelte 5 ounces—not a typo, this is with a hood AND a quarter length zipper! It's a fabric designed by Toray Industries in Japan. They have a strong history of developing cutting edge fabrics for use in the outdoors.

I've had the Peloton 97 zip hoody for three years now and it has seen a lot of use. I use it as both a base layer in colder conditions and as a mid-layer in cool conditions. I'm also using this piece (and the bottoms) for sleeping in my quilt or bag. The fabric has a very soft hand and is very comfortable against the skin. The fabric is also very warm for its weight. This is at least in part due to the fabric having a tighter weave on the outer and brushed on the inside.

While not as quick drying as some of the grid fabrics out there, it does dry quickly. The fabric is definitely warmer than a like weight grid fleece however.

When I saw they made bottoms as well, I knew I better pick up a pair (read my review of the Peloton 97 Fleece Zip-Off Bottom).

These two pieces have seen numerous days and nights of use and multiple machine washings; I can't see any noticeable wear. Not overly surprising as fleece wears extremely well, even at this light weight.

At 9.5 ounces for the pair, I have hard time not throwing them in—even if I suspect I'll only use them for sleepwear on an outing.

They aren't cheap, but for the performance and quality, reasonable in my opinion.

Experience

Multiple trips, lots of miles and nights. From shoulder seasons to the dead of winter.

Price Paid: $160 for the pair

Great reviews and recommendations of these layers, bigskyrunner! Thanks for telling more folks about this outdoor brand.

bigskyrunner

Alicia- thanks. I think hikers, bikers, climbers and runners would all find this piece very handy :)

KiwiKlimber

Nice review, BigSkyRunner. There are several hunting brands now on the market that have a lot of cross-over appeal to other outdoor pursuits. KUIU is definitely in that category. As more and more hunting brands offer solid color options for their technical apparel, I think more and more non-hunters will take notice.

bigskyrunner

^ Thanks!agreed; Kuiu, Sitka and First Lite have all significantly increased their solid colored offerings

KiwiKlimber

Yup, all those brands come to mind, not to mention Stone Glacier too, who has been expanding from being a pack company to now offering solid color apparel and gear for hunting/backcountry.

bigskyrunner

Good call. Stone Glacier has some really nice looking stuff. I haven't tried any of Stone Glacier's apparel yet, but it's their pack I use in the Fall.

1 month ago

Want Two Puffy Jackets from Rab?

Six Moon Designs Minimalist V2 Review