L.L.Bean Sit Backer Canoe Seat

photo: L.L.Bean Sit Backer Canoe Seat paddling accessory

Price Historic Range: $49.95
Reviewers Paid: $40.00

Yes, my somewhat indulgent, lazy paddling canoe seat! I really do like it, though, and it is nice to have on those days when I may want to recline a bit, or when I want to cinch it up and have more back support.

This is actually the GCI Outdoors SitBacker Canoe seat; I do have the one with the L.L. Bean logo, since that is where I purchased it. It is the exact same seat as that sold under the GCI brand name.

Pros

• Easily adjustable
  • Carries easily

Cons

• The contour seat is a bit rigid, but still comfortable

I purchased this canoe seat, since I often canoe at sunset, or pre-dawn, on quiet waters, when I may just want to sit and have a cup of coffee while enjoying the view. It really is not necessary for paddling, but with the adjustable seatback, I can position the seat for relaxing, or paddling...yes, lazy, I know!

I do not use it all the time, depending upon the conditions, or how much gear I have in the boat, but I am really glad I purchased it. I have also found, that if I relax the adjustable back support straps, I can lean back a bit (while still having some support), which provides a bit more room for my dog who sits in front of me as I paddle.

aug-GR-seat.jpg

The seat is well made, with a frame of strong steel; yet the canoe seat is not very heavy (3 lbs ). The fabric is strong, and durable material, with a lumbar support area. The back adjustment happens easily with a pull on a single strap. When fully upright, it provides a good amount of back support.The seat has two wide straps with buckles to attach to the canoe seat. (The seat can also be used outside of the canoe, as a ground seat.) There is a mesh storage pocket on the back of the seat back.

adk-seat.jpg

The seat folds up with the pull on one strap, and is easy to carry while folded. There is also a "portage lock" strap, to keep the back down while carrying the boat. Folded, the seat is only 3-4" high.

The contoured seat pad is reported to be "cushiony", but I think it is a bit firm, which I have noted after a few hours of paddling. The seat is a comfortable 16 inches wide, and the seat supports 250 lbs. The dimensions are 16.5 x 11 x 18 inches when in open position. The seat is reported to fit on molded canoe seats, but I think only on molded bench seats, and not a tractor style seat. I use it on my webbed flat canoe seat, on a Wenonah Fusion RX 13.

So I can recommend this seat...if you need back support, or want to recline a bit and enjoy the view!

gr-day-seat.jpg

Nice review with some beautiful paddling pictures, Sheila!

NativesOutdoors White Shell Mountain Beanie Review