L.L.Bean TrioZone Pants

This fleece pant was purchased as an alternative to…

Summary

This fleece pant was purchased as an alternative to insulated Gore-tex type pants, for activities such as hiking, snowshoeing, kicksledding, and skijoring. I have found the pants to perform better than I had expected, and they are used 4-5 times per week. I would recommend this product, especially if it can be obtained on sale (as is currently).

Pros

• Comfort
  • Durable fleece
  • Range of movement

Cons

• No back or accessory pocket

These pants are very comfortable. I have previously owned fleece pants that pilled, and the fleece deteriorated...these pants have maintained their fleece integrity through frequent use, and multiple washings.

The legs have zippers (which I generally do not use), and reflective highlights, with a good grippy strip at the base of each leg. There are three different Polartec materials used in this pant, designed for ease of movement, and wind and element protection.

I have used these pants in temperatures from 10 below to 40 degrees; at the lower temperatures, a midweight base layer is sufficient to maintain warmth, and at higher levels, I may use a minimal base layer, especially if I am xc skiing/skijoring.

On the front thighs, Wind Pro panels block biting winds and repel light rain and snow yet release excess heat. At the knees and ankle, breathable Power Stretch inserts provide great four-way stretch for free motion. Finally, lightweight Power Dry panels at the back yoke and behind the knees use a grid texture to let air circulate and release moisture fast.

I have found this combination of materials effective sustained activity such as a few hours of snowshoeing through deep snow and mountain trails, as well as activities where I may stop  and go more (such as skijoring and kicksledding)

There are two zip pockets on the front of the pants; I do wish they had a small accessory pocket, either on the leg, or on the back of the pants. There is an elastic waist, which is very comfortable, but I added a cord lock to the drawstring, as I found it tended to loosen up.

I had eyed these pants when they were first put into the L.L. Bean catalog, but I believe they were over $100, and I decided to wait until they came on sale...which, of course, they did. They have held up well, and have served me well.

triozone.jpg

G00SE

Here in Illinois, there isn't much use to invest in snow gear. So forgive the stupid question...Do you wear these under a shell or by themselves? Thanks for the review, by the way.

Sheila Bergin Goss BRAND REP

By themselves...they are pretty thick, and warm, yet breathable, designed for high-energy, aerobic activities in the cold...I suppose you could wear them under a large pair of shell pants, but if conditions warrant that, I would use a pair of insulated snow pants. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the helpful review, Sheila.

The L.L.Bean TrioZone Pants is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 10, 2015 at L.L.Bean.

Six Moon Designs Silver Shadow Review