L.L.Bean Waterproof Solar Flashlight

rated 3.5 of 5 stars
photo: L.L.Bean Waterproof Solar Flashlight flashlight

Price Reviewers Paid: $20.00-$25.00

Big Mistake—DO NOT BUY

Pros

• Works OK when new

Cons

• Relatively short service life (2-3 years)
  • Cannot be repaired

The batteries that hold the solar charge fail after a few years and cannot be replaced! Apparently, this product was never designed to have the rechargeable batteries replaced.

Sure, the item also runs on disposable backup lithium batteries, but then what is the point of the rechargeable solar feature. I am disappointed LL Bean sold these.

Miki, were you able to contact LLB for a return or replacement?

1 month ago

Pros

• Solar charge

Cons

• Finding it W E A K after 3 or 4 years. I tho't sun would 'forever charge' I guess???

I too have this small solar flashlight and have been delighted with it. My batteries also need to be replaced I guess as it is not its 'usual self of light'. Do I just replace these 2/CR2032 Lithium Cell 3 V batteries?

Price Paid: @$25./LLBEAN

Hi Dee, if replacing the batteries doesn't fix things, I'd try contacting LL Bean directly. They have excellent customer service and should be able to help you out: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/510618?bvCategory=510618&nav=ftlink or http://www.llbean.com/customerService/contactUs/?nav=ftbar&SS=B

I received this item in an "emergency bottle.' I've used this light for the last four years and am just now needing to replace the battery pack, if that's even possible. I hope it is, because the light has worked perfectly and I'd like to keep using it, the body is perfect, it works, why get rid of it because it needs new batteries?

Pros

• Longevity
  • It works repeatedly
  • Keep it charged and it works

Cons

• How do you replace the rechargeable batteries?

I received this light as part of an emergency bottle kit, typically used for backpacking. I had been putting together an emergency kit for my home, car, and camper and thought this would be a good addition to my personal "bugout bag".

I had had it in my kit for several months and was needed a light in my 5th wheel. I retrieved my light from the kit and charged it for 6 hrs and turned it on. Bam! Worked like a charm. It now has a special place in my 5th wheel window.

I use it every time I go to the camper. I even take it on vacation as an emergency light, remember Gilligan's Island, it started as a 3-hour tour. Sure would have been nice to have a solar powered flashlight.

Source: received it as a personal gift

Hi Stevie. Thanks for sharing your flashlight review. It looks like LL Bean has some product Q&As on its product page that may answer your battery questions: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/80431?feat=sr&term=Waterproof%20Solar%20Flashlight If not, I highly recommend contacting LL Bean directly. They have excellent customer service. Good luck!

NEMO Tensor Ultralight Review