A burly trail runner meant for mountain runs or hikes.

Summary

A burly trail runner meant for mountain runs or hikes.

Pros

• Sticky outsole
  • Protection from rocks

Cons

• If other La Sportivas fit you, these might not
  • Pricey

I'm on my second pair of La Sportiva Akashas and figured it was time for a review. I've owned several pairs of La Sportivas, but these are the only ones to fit well. The others I've owned simply didn't have enough room in the toe box, these do. This is also La Sportiva's burliest trail runner.

I don't have overly wide feet, but do need a roomy toe box—not an easy proposition unfortunately. The Akashas fit snuggly in the heel and midfoot, where you want a shoe to fit snuggly.

These definitely have more volume than other La Sportiva's, possibly too much if their other shoes fit you.

A very comfortable shoe in rough (read rocky) conditions. The toe has good protection as does the sole and midsole. The drop is a very reasonable 6mm (I'm not sold on 0 drop for myself).

I'm pretty sure La Sportiva makes the stickiest outsoles of any manufacturer, no doubt due to their extensive lineup of climbing shoes—the Akashas are nice and sticky. The lugs are on the large side and grip well in loose and muddy conditions. For a trail runner on the burlier side, these are still plenty responsive and nimble.

The shoes are very durable, despite being used in harsh environs. I retired my first pair with about 750-ish miles and could probably gotten more miles out of them. I've used them on multi-day adventure races, mountain trail races, scrambling, and general trail running.

For shorter distances and less hostile environs, I might choose a lighter and possibly more nimble shoe, but for longer distances in rougher conditions, give these a look.

0wrbazN.jpg?1

Nice review, BigSky! I agree with you on fit. One thing I like about La Sportiva is being able to see which shoes are made on which lasts. I have the somewhat similar Akyra (same last) and don't love them as much for trail running as some other LaSpo models, but think they're a great burly shoe for rugged, rocky mountains runs/hikes. Thanks for the review!

bigskyrunner

thanks :) you wouldn't have a link to their lasts by chance? I tried a couple of their different models previously and they were a no go for me.

There are a few ways to find that info. 1) if you go to their website and look at "Product Information" on a particular shoe's page, it will list the last. For example, "LAST: Tempo" on https://www.sportiva.com/akasha.html

They also have this chart which lists Fit and Last: https://www.sportiva.com/media/wysiwyg/Product_Charts/RunningComparisonChart2017_lowres_Page_2.jpg

I also like this graph for consumer education about different models: https://www.sportiva.com/media/wysiwyg/Product_Charts/RunningComparisonChart2017_lowres_Page_1.jpg

bigskyrunner

nice- thanks! :)

You're welcome! I wish more brands provided info like that.