La Sportiva Exum Ridge

The Exum Ridge has been discontinued. If you're looking for something new, check out the best approach shoes for 2021.

photo: La Sportiva Exum Ridge approach shoe

Men's
Price Historic Range: $33.54-$94.95
Reviewers Paid: $29.00-$89.95
Women's
Price Historic Range: $23.13-$94.95

This is the best approach shoe out there.

Because I have narrow feet, it has been very difficult for me to find trail shoes that don't feel like loose-fitting concrete blocks. I had used La Sportiva climbing shoes in the past and really liked their good fit and construction. So when I spotted a pair of Exum Ridges on sale, I grabbed 'em.

The Exum Ridges have, so far, been terrific. They fit snuggly and craddle your feet; are very cool (lots of mesh); are very supportive without feeling blocky; and have a stick-to-the-wall sole much like rock-climbing shoes. Unlike other trail runners I've used, they don't seem overally tall in the sole. I don't feel like I'm going to tip over. Although they are slip-lasted, they have a full-length plate in the sole to armor your feet from punches and gouges from rocks. I have yet to take them on real steep stuff (5.7 or above), but I'm convined they will work well for scrambling and peak-bagging with a light load.

One note: buy them large. For some reason, they fit small, so try at least a 1/2 larger than normal.

Use: trail runners. approach shoes
Break-in Period: little or none