La Sportiva Karacal

Current Retail: $130.00
Historic Range: $130.00
Reviewers Paid: $65.00
Weight 10.20 oz / 290 g
Upper 3D Seamless Mesh and No-Sew Upper / Cushioned Tongue / Thermo-Adhesive framework / Thermo-Formed toe cap
Lining Abrasion Resistant Micro-fiber
Midsole 4mm Ortholite Insole / Compression Molded EVA / 1.5mm Dual-Density EVA Rock-Guard underfoot
Sole FriXion AT 2.0 with Impact Brake System / FLEX Inserts / 3mm lugs
Drop Drop 7mm • Stack: Heel: 29mm / Toe: 22mm
Cushioning Midsole: 35A (Heel) and 32A (Forefoot)
Last Tempo Ultra • Wide
Weight : 8.80 oz / 250 g
Lining Abrasion Resistant Micro-fiber
Sole FriXion AT 2.0 with Impact Brake System / FLEX Inserts / 3mm lugs
Drop Drop 7mm • Stack: Heel: 29mm / Toe: 22mm
Cushioning Midsole: 35A (Heel) and 32A (Forefoot)
Last Women’s Tempo Ultra • Wide

Conforms well to a slightly narrow foot with average arch height. Lacing system stays in place, which benefits those who prefer laces that don't adjust while in use. Lugs on sole are tall enough for grip, but low enough to still feel the ground on harder surfaces.

Pros

• Lacing system
  • Fit to a slightly narrow foot
  • Ankle edging is forgiving in high flexion/extension

Cons

• Outer heel is not as rounded as I would like, which results in some instability on downhill heel strikes.

These shoes fit well for a slightly narrow foot. I prefer a shoe that envelopes my entire foot and then flexes with it as I land in different positions. Wide toe box shoes are not for me. I prefer a narrow toe tip that only contacts the ground where my foot is. Wider boxes result in my foot being awkwardly torqued in very rocky areas.

I prefer a shoe that contacts a large section of the top of my foot. This shoe does that, which seems to help me avoid blisters from my foot moving around too much. Breathability seems fine, but I live in a dry climate so it's unclear how these would work on the East Coast.

The lacing system seems secure and robust with two tongue loops to keep the tongue from shifting to the side.

I run smooth and technical rocky trails, 5-15 miles, 2k-5k elev gain.

10520508x1235742_zm.jpg
Space Blue / Poseidon

Source: bought it used

Thanks for the review, Lowell. What kind of trails and distances are you running or hiking in these?

Arc'teryx Atom LT Hoody Review