Larabar makes an outstanding trail bar that comes…

Price Paid: .98 a bar

Summary

Larabar makes an outstanding trail bar that comes in a variety of flavors that all taste great, and have a very high calorie per ounce.

Pros

• They taste great!
  • Great variety of flavors
  • Significant number of calories per ounce

Cons

• Could use a little more protein per bar

Sometimes it seems like I live under a rock, but the other day my daughter shared a trail bar with me that I had never really heard of before from a brand called Larabar.  I thought the trail bar tasted outstanding as it had a consistency like a dense Fig Newton (another food I really enjoy), which I also really liked.

Now that I have had a Larabar I notice them all the time in the store and wished I would have discovered them earlier.

wXfyJQJcTZ-AzUGE5Ug5iA.jpg
When I backpack I have gotten away from cooking, so I am always on the lookout for something that is closer to real food then the typical trail bars that are currently available. I really like the consistency of Larabars as they are like a dense Fig Newton. The picture below is of the Blueberry Muffin Larabar.

O9plQzIdRG-Ru9HNrDTz-A.jpg

The other thing I really like is the high calorie per ounce. The calories per ounce varies between the different flavors, but here is the data for the three bars in the first photo above:

• Blueberry Muffin:  Weight - 1.6 oz, Calories - 190
  • Apple Pie: Weight - 1.6 oz, Calories - 200
  • Cashew Cookie: Weight 1.7 oz, Calories - 220

While I'm not really a foodie, the Larabars have very basic ingredients:

• Blueberry Muffin ingredients: Dates, Apples, Blueberries, and Vanilla Extract
  • Apple Pie ingredients: Dates, Almonds, Unsweetened Apples, Walnuts, Raisins, Cinnamon
  • Cashew Cookie: Cashews, Dates

While not a concern of mine, it seems that all Larabars I have had are Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Vegan, Dairy Free, and Soy Free.

If you go to the Larabar website a www.larabar.com you'll find that they have a wide variety of products and I am on a quest to find a local store that caries their Superfood Bars that I would like to try.

Overall I have become a real fan of Larabars and would recommend them to anyone looking for a trail bar that tastes good and is also a bit closer to having real food on the trail.

Thanks for the review, Mike! Now you'll keep seeing them everywhere.

Phil Smith

I bought a couple boxes when I saw them at the supermarket a few weeks ago, now I’ll definitely have to bring a couple on my next hike.

David Williams

I continue to see this variety and many others in my local Stop and Shop. Incidentally, if you like cold food, as I do not, try Elevation bars which are available in an astounding variety of flavors in Aldi's grocery stores. The protein content of elevation runs as high as 20 grams for a chocolate peppermint variety. I think I may do a review.

Mike Mineart

While I really like Larabar's I'm always open to something new, so I'll keep on the lookout for Elevation bars and give them a try when I finally find one.

andrew f.

My wife likes Larabars; I haven't tried them, but i just bought a few and will take them on a hike tomorrow....thanks!

David Williams

They are basically a specifically flavored version of the old "fruit pemmican" concept which was old even when Colin Fletcher talked about making it at home. They are easy enough to make, I have done it, if you are interested enough to bother. Simply grind up dried fruit and maybe some coconut and nuts and mold it into bars or lumps with a little moistening like honey and fruit juice. Roll in nuts, coconut or chocolate pieces. Dry it again and store well wrapped in the refrigerator or it will get moldy and stale. I no longer bother and only did it a couple of times. The commercial product keeps longer although the home made product tastes as good.

David Williams

I forgot to note, Elevation bars (I must do a review) are essentially lower priced copies of higher priced bars. They taste about as good as the high end bars and are available in a variety of protein content and flavor. They have one that has 20 grams of protein. Another looks and tastes like a less sweet Mounds bar. It only has like 7 grams of protein, but it also has much less sugar than the candy bar.

Phil Smith

I ate a peanut butter cookie Larabar on my first post-injury hike last weekend, and really liked it. It was very easy to eat, I don’t know about you but I find Clif and similar bars very difficult to eat. The flavor is OK, they’re just hard to eat. I can’t really put it in words. Anyway, the Larabar chews and swallows easily, doesn’t require half a bottle of water to wash it down, and comes in a good portion size. Nutritionally they’re not the best, with the 48g peanut butter having 23g carbohydrates (17g sugar, 0g added), 6g protein, and 85mg sodium, but eating 1 or 2 a day between meals or as pre-sleep fuel for keeping warm isn’t going to hurt anyone. Ingredients are peanuts, dates (which explains the sugar), and sea salt. I’ll have to look for more flavors on Amazon.

Mike Mineart

Hi Phil, I'm glad you liked the Larabar. Clif bars were a standard with me for a number of years, but I just got tired of how difficult they can be to eat, especially if they are really cold. I would agree that Larabar's may not be great from a nutrition standpoint, but when I'm out on a hike and especially a longer one, I now tend to just look for food that I'll be happy eating and less on whether or not its the most healthy thing that I could be eating.

David Williams

All the Larabars are pretty much as I have noted, a high grade of fruit leather with similar nutritional content, mostly carbs and fiber and calories. Fine for corner filling but I would be reluctant to rely on them for much beyond snacking and corner filling. Certainly they are better than Pop Tarts or candy.