I must say, it would never occur to me to spend $200…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Leki promotional contest (facebook))

Summary

I must say, it would never occur to me to spend $200 for a pair of poles...but I will certainly accept them as a contest prize, and will put them to good use. These poles have been described as "the ultimate for 4-season use," but are also advertised as ski poles. I have used them for snowshoeing and micro-spike winter hiking, and they are certainly an upgrade over my basic snowshoe poles.

Pros

• Adjustable
  • Collapsable
  • Bright colors

Cons

• The strap release may be too sensitive, and pops out easily

leki-pole.jpg

These poles are way more pole than I would ever need, but I have come to really like them...and my husband is waiting in the wings for them if I ever put them aside!

Each pole has a push button release to collapse it, and then a nice clamping lock system to secure it at your desired length. The pair even comes with a carry-bag, to store the collapsed poles for travel.

They are very lightweight (carbon and aluminum, about 1 lb/pair), and the basket is strong and secure on the pole, and the carbide flex tip is reportedly a nice feature (though I am not sure I can tell, using it just in snow).

The grip is easy to grasp, when using either lightweight XC-type gloves, or heavier cold weather gloves. The strap is the Lek- R, which attaches to your glove, and then you can release the strap from the pole with a small catch/release mechanism (keeping the strap on your gloves).

When I snowshoe or hike, I do not want that much "attachment" to the pole, due to some thumb issues...I found that when climbing down, and I moved my hand up towards the top of the pole, the catch would release...twice, I had to retrace my steps to recover the dropped strap. I now have a small ice of tape that closes of the release, and have not lost a strap since.

The poles are brightly colored, which I like because I often hike/snowshoe in an area frequented by other users, some of who are on speedy stuff like Hammerhead sleds or BC skis...I also can find the poles easily should I drop them in the snow!

These poles would be fine for alpine ski use, and if I get out this year, will probably use them. They do not have the anti-shock feature I have on my summer poles..in the summer, I tend to use only a single trekking pole, so these Lekis will get a few months of rest.

griff-notch-profile.jpg

KiwiKlimber

Nice review, Sheila.

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney) BRAND REP

I am contemplating bringing poles to the Wind River Range this summer for a week long. What do you think?

Sheila Bergin Goss BRAND REP

They are rigid, without the anti-shock element, which I prefer for summer hiking. They are very lightweight, though!

The Leki Tour Stick Trigger S is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 9, 2015 at Sierra.

Keen Targhee Vent Mid Review