Light & Motion Focus Head

rated 4.0 of 5 stars
photo: Light & Motion Focus Head flashlight

Price MSRP: $99.00
Lumens 165

At 165 lumens, the Focus light head is the brightest red light this reviewer as ever seen. Add to that a 60-degree wide beam, and night hiking (and, presumably, diving) is an entirely new experience. The Focus is an interchangeable lens for the GoBe+ lighting platform.

I have found everything related to the GoBe+ to be high quality and incredibly bright. At this time, the Focus lens must be purchased separately from the GoBe+. At $99 (in addition to the $300 charge for the GoBe+), it is an expensive add-on for a lens that will only provide a red beam.

Pros

• High quality
  • Incredibly bright (165 lumen)
  • Retains your night vision
  • Expands the use of the GoBe+ lighting platform

Cons

• Price
  • Only a red beam

Note: This reviewer was provided the GoBe+ lighting platform system to test with four different heads/lenses. Each piece of the unit is sold separately.

To get a fuller picture of the GoBe+, see my reviews on the GoBe+ 700 Wide and the GoBe+ 500.

GoBe-2-.jpg

To put my bias out there, I'm not a fan of red beams on lights. I've owned two lights with red beams, and I've never used that feature. So I can't imagine spending $99 on top of the $300 for the GoBe+ just to add a red light, especially when that's all the Focus can provide, red light.

Still, you can't argue with how bright this light is.

Here is a short video of a recent stroll on the Running Deer Trail:

The above video is shot using the high beam at 165 lumen. Other beam settings are at 80, 20, and 10 lumen. A flashing “SOS” setting works at 20 lumen.

Light & Motion's website claims the red beam is ideal for wildlife and underwater photography. As I'm not skilled in those areas, I cannot test those claims.

Saves your night vision? Like all red lights, Light & Motion claims the Focus will save your night vision. However, I read on a number of websites (and even got that feedback on my own Facebook page) that a super bright red light negates that benefit. During my night hike, I was "if-y." I just couldn't tell which claim is true.

In Conclusion: The quality of the GoBe+ and the Focus lens is excellent. I have to assume there is a market for a red lens like the Focus, or Light & Motion would not be selling it. If you are looking for a bright, red-only beam, this is worth taking a look at.

Source: received for testing via the Trailspace Review Corps (Sample provided by Light & Motion for testing and review)

Seth Levy NONPROFIT REP FORMER STAFF

I'm a big fan of red lights, mostly because they look very, very cool. Thanks!

Arc'teryx Alpha SV Jacket Review