Lowa Zephyr Hi TF

Midsole Double Injection DuraPU
Outsole LOWA CROSS II
Weight 615 g/Single Shoe
Country of Origin Slovakia

Pounding the pavement or hitting the rocky trails? These boots fit the bill. Lightweight leather/fabric build makes breaking them in unnecessary, while providing all day comfort.

Pros

• Comfort—all day wearability
  • Weight (615g/ea as tested)
  • Traction—Lowa branded, rubber sole provides great traction on slippery trails

Cons

• You will feel the trail.

If you're looking for a lightweight, do it all boot, you've come to the right place. During an extended test (one year), they have served as my daily work boot in addition to my preferred trail hiker. Over the course of the year, these boots have seen roughly 400 miles of trails and countless miles on the job while the sole still looks relatively unscathed.

As a hiker with plantar fasciitis, these boots have provided me the exceptional comfort and support that I tend to find difficult with other options. They fit true to size and Lowa's Monowrap design keeps your foot locked into place, minimizing chaffing and hot spots. The leather/fabric upper, coupled with the high shaft provides exceptional support and protection from trail debris.

While I have not been able to find anything stating that the boots are "waterproof", they've seen their share of rainy days and muddy trails and have kept my feet dry every time. Lowa's rubber sole provides above average traction on wet, slippery rocks.

Overall, the boots are fantastic for a boot that falls into the mid/high price range ($225). The only "con" I can find for the boots would be the stiffness of the sole. While Lowa considers the boot "moderately stiff", I wish the boot was  a bit stiffer and provided a little more protection to the bottom of your foot. You will feel the elements of the trail.

Experience

As a "gear junkie" with over 25 years of backpacking experience, I typically replace boots every 6 months to a year. I've tested everything from cheaper, fully synthetic builds to top of the line all leather boots and these will stay in my "boot rotation". With over 400 trail miles and countless daily-use miles, these have held up better than I could have expected. When I retire them from trail use, they will remain my go-to "misc use" boots.

Welcome to Trailspace, Stephen! Thanks for taking the time to share your first gear review with us. Very helpful! I hope you'll consider reviewing more of your gear.

1 month ago
Michael -Survival Intuition

Are you waling in these boots while your plantar fasciitis is acting up, or are they reducing the flare ups of that? I have plantar fasciitis too which is why i am asking

Stephen Upton

Michael, that's a great question. Typically, I will choose to wear them if 1. I wake up in the morning and my feet are bothering me (which is the case a lot of time) or 2. If I know that I will be on my feet for the majority of the day. There are times where that is not an option for me, but if given the opportunity to wear them, I do so more often than not. If I chose to wear them when I am not actively having a PF flare up, they do seem to help to either prevent or minimize the pain vs some of my other options. Hope that helps.

Michael -Survival Intuition