Lowe Alpine Aeon 27

photo: Lowe Alpine Aeon 27 daypack (under 35l)

M-L L-XL
Capacity 27L / 1650 cu in
Weight 850 g 930 g
Back Length 41-51 cm 46-56 cm
Dimensions 52 x 25 x 22 cm 53 x 26 x 22 cm

Nice size for day hikes or ultralight camping. Suitable also for climbing, running, or cycling.

Pros

• Very light but durable
  • Available in 2 torso sizes
  • Hiking pole holders
  • Ice axe loops
  • Sternum strap
  • Hydration bladder compatible
  • Storage compartments on belt
  • Two side pockets that fit bottles
  • Internal and external zip pockets
  • Large external stretch pocket
  • Height adjustable support frame
  • Side compression straps

Cons

• Could use a couple of small D-rings on the straps in addition to the daisy chains.
  • No side zip into main compartment

Bought last year and have used it for about 6 months. One of the Youtube reviews for this pack has it thrown off a mountain in Scotland and it survives with hardly a scar. Keeping that in mind you'll know it may be light, but it's rugged.

I'm primarily a hiker, but I usually take a DSLR and 1-2 extra lens. With a few drybags, lens pouches, and drawstring pouches it's workable to divide all your kit. Not as handy as my dedicated photography pack but much lighter and for me it works better for a longer day hike when I want to bring a microfiber  jacket or fleece sweater.

The capacity seems accurate and I'm sure an ultralight camper would love it. The zipper pouches aren't as intuitive as some packs so I find myself having to recall where I've stored some stuff but that might be due to unfamiliarity from owning it only a half year. The belts zippered compartments are awesome. My sunglasses or reading glasses store nicely in one side and fair amount of snacks in the other. All the straps are very comfortable.

The hydration pocket is between the lightweight frame and the main compartment. There are loops on the shoulder strap to hold the hose. I'm actually happy that Lowe didn't supply a bladder because I already have three and it would mean one more for me to store. I like using a 1.5L size in it the best. I haven't tried a 2L bladder yet. Along with bottles in the two side pockets I carry over 2,5L of fluid on most hikes.

The support network also does a nice job of getting airflow to the back. On the one warmer day I've hiked I hardly noticed having a sweat since it vents so well.

The adjustability of this pack is insane. First off, you need to know I bought the XL size which fits me ( 5'10") fine as well as daughter's boyfriend ( about ( 6'2"). Daughter would likely be able to use it with readjustment but being (5'4") would probably be better suited by the smaller size. It rides close to the body and is far better than my photography pack or old rucksack when scrambling up a hillside, great for keeping your balance. The compression straps do a nice job of keeping any load from shifting and pulling in the center of gravity.

When the weather improves I'll be mountain biking and occasionally using this instead just a small hydration pack. I've become more pleased with this pack each time I use it.

lowe-alpine-aeon-27l-backpack_a_896pd_3_460-1.jpg
adjustable lightweight frame

Experience

I was a scout in the '60s and '70s. Have endured all the ills of old aluminum framed canvas packs on overnight camping trips. My hiking experience has been mostly day hikes in mountains and woods, but I've done car camping, dozens of trail overnights as well as winter camping in snow.

When I did three years of X-country patrol most if us used old style Cordura Jansport rucksack with ski sleeves behind the side pockets. I've owned about a dozen packs in 50 years that included ones by Jansport, LL Bean, Lowepro, Tamrac , Alpine Design, Gerry, Outdoor Products and Eddie Bauer of which I still own four of. BTW my sister worked in the industry for Gerry, Alpine Designs, and Lowe in the clothing end of the business during the '70s and '80s.

Nice review of your Lowe Alpine pack, D Mizelle! Since I've been carrying my DSLR with an extra lens around more, I'm curious about your internal storage system. And what is your dedicated camera pack?

D Mizelle

For my Canon DSLR in the Lowe pack the camera gets wrapped in a universal SLR neoprene camera case I bought on eBay. It covers the lens and the body is secured by a loop of the neoprene that flips back over the lens. That only works over a short DSLR lens. All my lens have neoprene pouches so whatever photo gear I take that day will go into a 10L drybag to make sure they are dry and protected. No dividers but safer in event of rain. My old dedicated pack is a private label pack made by Tamrac for a camera shop. Its on the smaller size of those I'd guess it was modified from the Expedition 5 model that Tamrac sold under its label. It can hold a mid sized zoom, camera with short zoom and a prime lens with room for some cleaning stuff and other accessories. That leaves just enough room for a somewhat small container with personal items, pocket knife etc , still leaving room for some snacks. I carry a water bottle on camera days with a carabiner clipped to the strap D-ring on one side and to balance things once out I often clip a neoprene lens pouch to the other strap with whatever lens is my secondary that day.

Thanks, D! Super helpful info. I need to add some neoprene pouches to my kit.

KiwiKlimber

Nice review, D Mizelle! Thanks for the helpful info.

robert clark

I find that many day packs are way over- engineered ; do you really need a sophisticated harness system on a day pack? Maybe. if you're carrying a full rack, rope etc but if you're out for a day hike in the hills a minimal pack is just fine. The day pack that's served me better than any other is the Exped Summit Lite; no frills , hard wearing and cheap!

We'd love to see a review of your Exped pack, Robert. https://www.trailspace.com/gear/exped/summit-lite-25/

Review Your Gear to Win Kora Wool Activewear worth $660