Lowe Alpine TFX Tundra 65+15

This really is a great pack, as are all the Lowe Alpine…

This really is a great pack, as are all the Lowe Alpine packs I've owned.

However the major disadvantage with this pack is the shoulder straps. They are very narrow and  close together. I find that digging in isn't as much of a problem as chaffing the sides of my neck. I'm 5'10" 185lb, if you had a smaller frame I don't think it would be as much of an issue.

I have used the pack on a few overnight and multi day hikes and have had the problem each time.  I have switched to a Millet Namche which is working well.

Update: January 7, 2011

This really is a great pack, as are all the Lowe Alpine packs I've owned. However the major disadvantage with this pack is the shoulder straps. They are very narrow and  close together. I find that digging in isn't as much of a problem as chaffing the sides of my neck.  I'm 5'10" 185lb, if you had a smaller frame I don't think it would be as much of an issue

I have used the pack on a few overnight and multi-day hikes and have had the problem each time.  I have switched to a Millet Namche which is working well.

I don't know what the previous reviewer did wrong,…

Design: Top-loading or front-loading internal
Size: 65+15 L
Max. Load Carried: 50 lbs.
Height of Owner: 5'9"

I don't know what the previous reviewer did wrong, but this pack is amazing. I barely even know where to start.

I believe the reviewer may have not adjusted the adjustable suspension properly, so I'll start there. The TFX system is super easy to adjust and allows you to adjust the fit of the pack to your torso. This way the hip belt is always sitting in the most comfortable place for you and the lumbar pad is right in the small of your back, which makes it extremely comfortable. This pack has the best lumbar pad I have ever seen.

Speaking of the hip belt, the padding even has a depression molded into it where your the top of pelvic bone sinks into the belt a little. This is an very nice feature that adds even more comfort.

The shoulder straps are well padded and some might consider them a little narrow, but the padding keeps them from digging in. The chest strap is full adjustable. The pack has many other straps for load adjustment that make this pack such a comfort to wear.

There are many other good features on this pack, but you find them on most packs in this price range, so I'll mention a few that stand out to me. The first is the included rain cover (which is "rescue-me" orange). Very nice and would be ultra-visible if you ever needed to be. The sleeping bag compartment easily fits my Big Agnes Savery SL without a compression sack. The external pockets on the side are very well setup.

The only complaint I have is that the sleeve for the hydration bladder is rather wide and not very deep, and there is nothing to hang it on at the top. I can use my 3L CamelBak bladder with it, but it's occasionally inconvenient.

Update: March 10, 2009

This pack is amazing. I barely even know where to start. I believe the reviewer may have not adjusted the adjustable suspension properly, so I'll start there.

The sleeping bag compartment easily fits my Big Agnes Savery SL without a compression sack. The main storage area of the pack can also be accessed from the main face of the pace by a zipper and velcro access panel, as well as the top. The external pockets on the side are very well setup.

The TFX Tundra 65+15 has been discontinued.

The Lowe Alpine TFX Tundra 65+15 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 13, 2010 at Sierra.

Keen Targhee Vent Mid Review